Floating Plant Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once I find a 6500K light, I may try frogbit again! It would be so nice if it did well. If it can handle the surface agitation caused by my bubble breathing dragon and my HOB filter, I'm good to go. I'm going to stay away from duckweed. I've read that it's a nightmare if you have an HOB filter. I could put it in my 5G hex, but my betta needs room to get air from the surface. Maybe frogbit would do well in the 5 gallon. Decisions! :)

Surface agitation won't bother frogbit. Usually it's only a problem because it pushes things that float into corners, where they may be starved of light. Right now I have the lights so close to the surface of my tank water that when I drop in new frogbit, it burns the old leaves. New leaves grow and are just fine, but the old ones can't take the difference in light intensity.

Duckweed does have a nasty habit of sticking to everything it touches. Left alone it can pile up on itself to a depth of a couple of inches, though the under layer will die off if that happens. Actually, given free rein, frogbit can pile up to a fair extent as well and the leaves that get pushed under will die off. But the ones on top will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom