floating ramshorn snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jafoca

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just added two large size ramshorn snails to my 10g tank, and I think i have a problem.

I stuck them to the glass and they proceaded to march down to the bottom, which is a fine white sand substrate. Once there it seems like one of them couldnt stick to the sand, and ended up floating around at the top of the aquarium. The other snail didn't try to go on the sand yet.

Is my sand too fine for the snails to live in my aquarium? Once they start floating can they stick themselves to the side again, or do they need rescue?

The substrate matters none to a snail - it is not related to that. Snails can float and this is not necessarily a sign that something is wrong. Remove the snail and touch the shell door and see if it closes up, or otherwise moves. That way you know the snail is alive.

Your snails can live in your aquarium, no problem. They have a lot of control over their buoyancy, so they do not need to use suction to stay down.

i caught some wild snails and they'd float on the top of the water and eat stuff... i dont know how they did it because there wasnt anything to hold on to

i caught some wild snails and they'd float on the top of the water and eat stuff... i dont know how they did it because there wasnt anything to hold on to
:lol: that's probably my favorite thing about keeping snails in the aquarium. Next best is to see them "surf" a filter output repeatedly.

my apple snails stick to the water tention and just buzz around on the current, if thay want to get off they just close up and float to the bottom. They eat flake food this way, but most of the time they won't bother and just eat algea tablets.

Back
Top Bottom