Flow in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willbratz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need some help on where to place my JVP-102 power heads. I read the rule is 4 xs per hour turn over. So for a 120 gallon tank it should be a power head of 480 correct?

If so, I have 2 of these JVP-102s which are suppose to push 1300 gph. But I see dead spots in my tank and I'm currently battling an outbreak of hair algae.

Hence the question of placement within my tank. Any pics with explanations would be greatly appreciated. I plan on shutting it down scrubbing the rock and cleaning out some of the sand.

So, when I fire it back up in a few hours after cleaning I'd like to get the best flow to help keep things from having dead spot to help in keeping this stuff from being able to settle (as much as I can that it).
Thanks

It is more like 30-40 times turn over per hour.

I have 2 1500 Evos in my 90 gallon

You'll want min 3600gph total flow through that tank. That should include return line after head loss if you have sump.

Ya your way under where you should be. I personally like to stay on the high end of 45-50x but I don't really keep much in the way of softies either. For your size tank you should be looking at around 4-5000 gph flow which if you can afford it the perfect solution would be dual mp 40s alternating.

Ya your way under where you should be. I personally like to stay on the high end of 45-50x but I don't really keep much in the way of softies either. For your size tank you should be looking at around 4-5000 gph flow which if you can afford it the perfect solution would be dual mp 40s alternating.

The MP40w ecotech powerheads are very pricey but.. You get what you pay for! I have two of them facing eachother on a short pulse program and i never ever get deadspots and my corals and fish absolutely love the natural type water movement. Definitely one of the best investments i have made in the hobby. They create forward flow AND undertoe at the same time which moves the entire tanks water supply 24/7

I like to put then on the back glass if possible to make them more hidden but that's not always an option due to rock scraping. The most efficient area tends to be on the side glass which I hate seeing but with my new scape I had to use them there unfortunately lol. You'll just have to play around with them until you find that sweet spot.

Well, here's what my rock work looks like. I'm hoping to keep the same rock work tomorrow after pulling and scrubbing all the hair algae off of them. Afterwards I've got about 33 gallons ready to change out as well.

I'll be using my daughters' Mickey Mouse shovel there to "skim" the sand and manually remove whatever I can. Hopefully this along with a few doses of Phosban will end this battle quickly. But I know flow is still going to be an issue.

With all this cleaning ( rocks sand 40% wc), I'm assuming I should test regularly for any spikes within the tank over the week to come?

Attachments

• image-3545653994.jpg
    image-3545653994.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 100
  • image-1084007306.jpg
    image-1084007306.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 106
Looks like diatoms on the sand. If it is, it will disappear in a month or 2. Hermits and some snails eat it daily. Conches are great at destroying it. Gobies do a good job to. Shovel the top layer out one day and it will be back the next.
As for hair algae, flow probably won't make much difference. Need snails to eat it. I get some algae right on my pumps some time. Snails always get it.

Looks like diatoms on the sand. If it is, it will disappear in a month or 2. Hermits and some snails eat it daily. Conches are great at destroying it. Gobies do a good job to. Shovel the top layer out one day and it will be back the next.
As for hair algae, flow probably won't make much difference. Need snails to eat it. I get some algae right on my pumps some time. Snails always get it.

Def. not diatoms they are sprouting up they actually look like wheat. I've got a couple of snails in there but I think I need about 15. Not sure about hermit crabs as I've had a few in there and only 1 is still walking around I think the fish are eating them :-(

I was thinking algae blenny. What type of goby eats hair algae?

No gobies eat hair algae as far as I have seen. I've always kept algae blennies and they didn't seem to touch it unless it was trimmed very short.

Well, then it looks like back to my original plan of scrubbing, skimming, Phosban, and three weekly feedings for the fish. My lights are already down to 10 (10 hours for blues, and 8 hours for whites).
What's the best to use in my Phosban 150?

Well, then it looks like back to my original plan of scrubbing, skimming, Phosban, and three weekly feedings for the fish. My lights are already down to 10 (10 hours for blues, and 8 hours for whites).

You could probably cut the lights back to 8/6

I have a 35 gallon with a mj pro 900 circulation pump and a topfin 30 powerhead! I have about 30x turnover in my tank! Never ever will there be to much water flow in a reef aquarium unless its keeping your sandbad off the bottom of yor tank

Have you considered bio pellets?

Have you considered bio pellets?

There were bio-plastics in it but they don't tumble they way they should. I was thinking purigen, but the Phosban is missing the black foam discs and looks like I'll have to order them from foster & smith.

Back
Top Bottom