fluctuating temperature in my 10 gallon, but unavoidble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bucket

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there: I've got a 10 gal.tank in my office that is housed on top of my mini-fridge and near my computer, so the temperature fluctuates due to the heat from the fridge and the heat from the computer. I get temps throughout the day that go from 76 to the low 80s, depending on use. The tank has to sit there as I don't have any other place to put it. I don't have any fish in it right now, but was using it as an isolation or hospital tank, but decided that the temperature thing was probably too stressful for sick or new fish.
Now I'd like to put a permanent resident or two in it, and wondering if anyone can recommend a fish that won't be bugged by this temperature situation. I've been able to keep the water conditions pretty good based on water changes on the same schedule as my 65 gallon, which has been doing well for a couple of years.

That type of temperature fluctuation is not going to be good for fish. If you truly want to keep fish in it, you're going to need to find a way to rearrange your office so that it can be placed in a location where it can maintain a stable temperature. Plus it probably wouldn't be good for your refrigerator or more importantly your computer if you spill a water on them during a water change.

An option(not necessarily recommending it) would be to increase the temperature that your heater is set to so that the tank constantly remains at 80.

Also, do you have a full hood on this tank? You could remove the hood, or just the lid, in order to increase heat loss due to evaporation. If you go this route, I think a bubble wand would prove useful as it would increase the surface agiation.

An alternative would be to look for an inexpensive stand (wrought iron perhaps), or even a concrete block encased in cheap panneling.

Just a thought.

Bob

both ideas are great, bettas can tolerate temps that high and seem to do better you could try that option (the constant 80*) if you want a betta

Thanks for the advice all. Just to clarify:My computer is not in any danger of having water dumped on it. It's not THAT close to the aquarium...it just kicks off a lot of heat in a small office. That's why I mentioned it. I'd like to think I am not THAT reckless.The fridge is not in danger either. If anything, the front door might get a splash on it, if I got sloppy. So far so good though.
Anyway, the high temperature solution sounds feasible actually. Wish I'd thought of that. I'll keep my ears peeled for a Betta that needs rescuing.Thanks!

Yeah, but if I buy one of those, they'll just replace it. I don't want to encourage them.

If you don't want to encourage the restocking of poorly taken care of bettas at your LFS's, you'll have to go online. Petsmart, Wal-mart, Petco, and a privately owned store all keep their betta's in half pint cups. The other LFS(my favorite) doesn't stock them at all. I'd rather not see them at a LFS, than see them being mistreated.

Back
Top Bottom