Flukes Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aikokoi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a fish scrapping itself, one gill is functioning now.
I was reading all the symptoms, and it sounds like the poor Koi has
the Flukes. The store is now closed, and that's if they sell aqua Prazi.

I did a water change added api products and some aquarium salt.
Any other products recommended to treat this? I am desperate now
don't want the fish to pass.

Thank You in advance,
Josh

I am using tetra lifeguard, as this was the only product at the store.
It's been 2 days the fish, had more activity, but her one gill is still closed.
She is still breathing hard, no store around me sells aqua prazi.

Any advice at all? 63 views and no response. :(
How long till this fish gill opens up?

I am using tetra lifeguard, as this was the only product at the store.

It's been 2 days the fish, had more activity, but her one gill is still closed.

She is still breathing hard, no store around me sells aqua prazi.

Any advice at all? 63 views and no response. :(

How long till this fish gill opens up?

We need more info. Tank size, water parameters ammonia, nitrite nitrate. What is your stock? How did you cycle the tank?

Fish scratching or flashing can be many things.

Things I would do now.

Gravel vac
Remove 50% water and replace with dechlorinated tap water.
Save a bucket of tank water and rinse off the filters.

Keep up on water quality for the next few days by changing 50% twice a week. And keep gravel vaccing. See if there is an improvement in gill function after a couple of weeks. Then we can move on to possible bacteria or parasites

You could also try a salt dip incase there is a parasite but we need to know the water parameters first tested with a liquid test kit.

You could also try a salt dip incase there is a parasite but we need to know the water parameters first tested with a liquid test kit.

Thank you for your help
High Ph 7.4
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm
nitrate 5.0ppm

How much salt would you recommend? say in 1 gallon of water?
The fish are small 3-4 in
I have API aquarium salt

Thank you for your help
High Ph 7.4
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm
nitrate 5.0ppm

How much salt would you recommend? say in 1 gallon of water?
The fish are small 3-4 in
I have API aquarium salt

I do 4 teaspoons per gallon. You only need a couple of gallon depending on the depth of the container.

Place the fish in. Watch closely. The fish may float to the top and turn on its side. I believe this is normal. Leave in for about 5-10 mins then place back in the tank.

Be sure to use tank water and dissolve the salt in it first. If the fish starts thrashing around or swimming erratically then place it back in the tank immediately.

You need to get nitrite to 0. Did you fully cycle the tank?

I do 4 teaspoons per gallon. You only need a couple of gallon depending on the depth of the container.

Place the fish in. Watch closely. The fish may float to the top and turn on its side. I believe this is normal. Leave in for about 5-10 mins then place back in the tank.

Be sure to use tank water and dissolve the salt in it first. If the fish starts thrashing around or swimming erratically then place it back in the tank immediately.

You need to get nitrite to 0. Did you fully cycle the tank?

The tank had not fully cycled, I made a mistake upon and changed
the filter after 4 weeks. So there went the good bacteria, but with help of folks here, I am getting back on track. I was given some advice, from another forum as well, I am going to try visiting another store in hopes to find some prazipro or anything with praziquantel.

I read about the lifespan, of these fish, and it's pretty amazing.
Would love to have them for a very long time. :fish2:

If you are in the US, prazi is pretty commonly available. It's not something a chain store will carry but a decent aquatics store will have Prazipro (liquid) or powdered prazi. Prazi is available online through any aquatics/pet supplier and common places such as EBay or Amazon. Liquid will be easier to use if you are not familiar with its use (prazi is not water soluble) and should be dosed at 5mg/l for a minimum of 3-4 weeks (full cycle)

My apologies as this was sent before I finish! In respect to the fish with the closed gill- is this a new symptom or has it been getting steadily more apparent?

Please ask any questions! :)

I want to give, a huge THANK YOU to everyone.
The suggestions and advice given, have been incredibly helpful.

Here's an update 03/05/14 8:35am Eastern time

We located an extremely, super friendly per store,
Pet Kare 1 located in Bear Delaware. They had two products
available PraziPro, and the other was API General Cure.

We where offered great advice, and the store owner recommended.
That we start with PraziPro, because it's a proven product.

After starting the treatment, all I can say is Wow.
The one fish went from fighting to stay alive, to being back to it's normal self,
and the best part using both Gills. This product is amazing, we still have a few more days of treatment left. I am so relieved :fish2::fish2: the fish are happy.(y)

Back
Top Bottom