Fluval 304 External Canister Filters - 3 media basket recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tangoone1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Dear all,

i had inherited a Fluval 304 External Canister Filter from someone, what happen is i notice inside the canister filter there are 3 media basket...

and it is been set by the local aquarium shop as

Low - Ceramic Ring
Middle - Carbon
High - Ceramic Ring

i just wanna make sure is this the right way to set it up ?

do you guys have any other recommendation ? that i can used ?

this Fluval 304 was previously been install in a marine tank setup but due to too much fish is dying and money invest they called off the project even before knowing what the problem ... 2 to 3 year later i used back the same tank and the same filter and this time I'm keeping tropical colorful and small child fish

my question is, those ceramic ring i think it has been there dry up in the inhouse storeroom for like almost 2 to 3 year without in used. everything seem to be pretty much working but i don't know should i give it a change on media basket content with a new one or not ... kindly give me a advice on this

thankss

You could probably do away with the carbon and get a polishing sponge to set it up like this:

Low - Polishing sponge
Mid - Rings
High - Rings

You may want to give the canister a thorough cleaning especially if it was used in Saltwater AND especially if it came in contact with something that was killing fish.

The cleaning may involve throwing out the rings and getting new ones. Either way - those rings have been dried out for too long to still have meaningful bacteria - so you'll be cycling either way.

Carbon on the bottom. The biorings should still be okay as long as they are not falling apart. You could also skip the carbon and put polyester pillow stuffing in there. No need for carbon unless you are are removing meds or such things. But you definitely want the biomax on the top to pick up the good bacteria on the way out.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

hmmm .. alright ~ let see what can i get in the market ... my country is like a village hard to get good **** around here hahah

Back
Top Bottom