Fluval 305 filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gal freshwater setup already, I have a dual tetra whisper HOB filter on it now and I'm wanting to upgrade to the Fluval 305 canister filter. I was just wanting some ideas on what filter media I need to set it up with.

Thanks

Fluval canister filters in that series usually comes with media material. Plus alot depends on what type of tank. Fish only or planted?

I have this filter and I love it. In the bottom 2 trays I put ceramic rings. I had to purchase some more, but I filled both sides of both trays with the rings. The top tray I filled with poly-fill which you can get at most craft stores. It acts as a water polisher. Dont use the carbon bags that come with the system unless you are removing medications. When it comes time to clean the filter just replace the poly-fill and rinse HALF of the ceramic rings. That way you wont disrupt the bacteria too much. I do mine as a left/right side as looking at the flat surface of the basket. It keeps the water clean, it's quiet and simple to clean. Just be sure to lube the gasket with petroleum jelly when you replace the top so you wont pinch it or force it out of the groove. It will look like white goop next time you clean the filter but you just wipe it away with a paper towel and place a thin coat of jelly on the rubber ring.

Thanks for the info ;) I mainly just have fish at the moment, I have 1 small plant I was just messing around with. I'm still really new at all of this.

I have this filter and I love it. In the bottom 2 trays I put ceramic rings. I had to purchase some more, but I filled both sides of both trays with the rings. The top tray I filled with poly-fill which you can get at most craft stores. It acts as a water polisher. Dont use the carbon bags that come with the system unless you are removing medications. When it comes time to clean the filter just replace the poly-fill and rinse HALF of the ceramic rings. That way you wont disrupt the bacteria too much. I do mine as a left/right side as looking at the flat surface of the basket. It keeps the water clean, it's quiet and simple to clean. Just be sure to lube the gasket with petroleum jelly when you replace the top so you wont pinch it or force it out of the groove. It will look like white goop next time you clean the filter but you just wipe it away with a paper towel and place a thin coat of jelly on the rubber ring.

I run several FX5's and 405's and 6' and never lube the o-ring. And if you rinse your bio-media in old aquarium water you don't lose BB.

Rivercats said:
I run several FX5's and 405's and 6' and never lube the o-ring. And if you rinse your bio-media in old aquarium water you don't lose BB.

Thanks! So you just kind of shake the media around in old aquarium water and it safes all BB?

Ok so I got my 305 all setup and running, I left my old dual whisper filter in place to seed my new filter..... How long should it take for a proper seeding? Thanks for any input on this.

Ok so I got my 305 all setup and running, I left my old dual whisper filter in place to seed my new filter..... How long should it take for a proper seeding? Thanks for any input on this.

The longer the better. A month would be good. Or you can try to remove it (cut it up if you have to) and put it in one of the trays in the Fluval if you have room.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom