Fluval 305 or Marineland C-360

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking for a canister filter for my new 40 breeder and would like advice. Which of these 2 would you recommend and why? I appreciate your feedback.

I haven't used either of them but by going off of ratings I'd go with the Fluval 305. It is rated for a smaller tank and has less flow. The Marineland C-360 looks to be a good filter and had good reviews. But you don't want to blow your fish away or plants.

So that leaves me to ask what fish are you going to have? Some like more or less flow. Are you doing plants?

I have not used either filter myself but...
Based off of personal customer support experiences with both companies, go with the Fluval.

I am looking at the following inhabitants for the tank. Based on aquadvisor.com, I could actually pull off all this in this tank with the C-360, but am only going to be selecting from this. The must haves are the swords and mollys (moving from a smaller tank) and the dwarf gouramis.

6 Julii Cory
3 Red Velvet Swordtails (1 male + 2 female)
5 Dalmatian Molly
6 Neon Tetras
6 Otocinclus
3 Dwarf Gourami (Red, Electric Blue, Powder Blue)
5 Lemon Tetras
5 Cherry Barbs
10 Cherry Shrimp

Well to tell you what I would use over the two you picked would be a rena canister filter. I've been hooked on them for years and will never change. The xp2 or xp3 will do just fine. If the fish don't seem to like the flow you can put on a spray bar to spread out the flow. I believe they are cheaper than what you've been looking at. Here is a link for them if you want to take a look but you can find them cheaper I believe.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...atid=3602&ref=4032&subref=AA&cmpid=PPC-G-4032

Well to tell you what I would use over the two you picked would be a rena canister filter. I've been hooked on them for years and will never change. The xp2 or xp3 will do just fine. If the fish don't seem to like the flow you can put on a spray bar to spread out the flow. I believe they are cheaper than what you've been looking at. Here is a link for them if you want to take a look but you can find them cheaper I believe.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3602&ref=4032&subref=AA&cmpid=PPC-G-4032

Thanks. I just checked this out and don't see a single negative comment. This may be the way to go! Anybody else have an opinion on this filter?

Thanks. I just checked this out and don't see a single negative comment. This may be the way to go! Anybody else have an opinion on this filter?

Good filter, a little pricey.
IMHO, SunSun (AquaTop CF model) filters whip all their butts. Can't beat the price and performance is rock solid.

I've got a c360 on my 44gallong cichlid tank and a fluval 206 on my 18 gallon planted tank. The 360 is a massive filter, lots of room in 4 baskets to hold lots of different media. Also has lots of water movement. It comes with a diffuser that works well, I aim it at the surface and get good agitation, and it doesn't blow my fish away. I've had marineland canister filters for a few years. whenever I start to experience a problem I call up the customer service number and they send me a gasket kit, valve block, or even a total replacement.

The fluval 206 I've only had for a week. But I REALLY like it. It has less media capacity that the C220 (marineland equivalent) but much easier to start, very quiet, and I'm hoping has less issues than I've had with the C220 in the future. The two negatives to fluval 06 line is the smaller media capacity and the outflow piece is less customizable and aim-able.

If I had a choice now to but a C360 or a 306, I would go with the 306. But depending on your specific needs and deal you can find the C360 might be just fine for you.

Decided to go with the Marineland C360. More expensive, but I've gotten some good feedback about Marineland. Plus, everything I have bought for my son's tank is Marineland, and its great.

You have a 3 year warrantee, so as soon as you notice any problems, give marineland a call. They'll send you new gasket & o-rings, new valve block, or whatever it sounds like the problem is.

Back
Top Bottom