fluval Chi to 10 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So how long should it take for the coral to open? It's been in the tank about 25 minutes. I drip acclimated it all.

Good deal on the corals!! When I first put my frogspawn in the tank, it took about a day to fully open up. The mushroom should come around soon.

Good deal on the corals!! When I first put my frogspawn in the tank, it took about a day to fully open up. The mushroom should come around soon.

It's starting to inflate a little.

Oh! I forgot. I also got a little frag of zoas. About 13-14 polyps. No idea what they look like and they haven't opened yet. I hope they aren't radioactive dragon eyes or eagle eyes since I already have them. But if they are that'd be ok I guess.

Is the mushroom a recordia?!!

I don't know. Here are pics of the coral so far. I need ID's on a few. I love that I got new coral and wasn't even planning on it! Also, they had a skunk cleaner. Next time... Lol!

Frogspawn: (it's just between two rocks right now. I will glue it somewhere in a few days)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/57623-albums10765-picture49280.html

Green mushroom: low in the tank about 2 inches from the sand. Good light, not shaded, light to medium flow.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/57623-albums10765-picture49281.html

Mystery Yellow thing that i thought maybe is a ricordea with some sort of encrusting red thing on the rock. I broke a piece of the red stuff off because it was pressing into the yellow thing. If anyone knows what either thing is, I'd be happy to know! (Red thing is very thin and hard. Not really meaty. I thought it was Coraline algae at first but I'm having second thoughts.)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/57623-albums10765-picture49282.html

Looks like a ricordea, a beautiful one! The red does look like coralline but it's hard to tell from a photo. There's lots of types.

The frags look great Jen! It took my frogspawn about 2-3 days until it expanded completely. Give it some time, it's just probably still ticked off about being moved. :) I like the color of the yellow!

Def a recordia, the red could be a type of chalice maybeif its hard. Does it feel like a coral? (Slimy or maybe soft on top?)

The frags look great Jen! It took my frogspawn about 2-3 days until it expanded completely. Give it some time, it's just probably still ticked off about being moved. :) I like the color of the yellow!

When I went to the new store they didnt have their coral tanks up yet. These frags came in with their fish order. The frogspawn wasn't even open in their tank, which had low light and low flow. I believe they all would have died. And that's also why I got such a fantastic price. I'll leave the frogspawn alone and just be patient. Now if only the zoas would open a little so I can see what they are!

Def a recordia, the red could be a type of chalice maybeif its hard. Does it feel like a coral? (Slimy or maybe soft on top?)

The red thing is smooth but i was able to break a peice off because it was pressing into the ric. its very very thin. I was looking at it closely and I can see that there is some dead areas around the edges. And I had moved the rock to make the ricordea happier (less flow), and the red area was in low light after I moved the rock.. Now the red thing looks a little yellowish or lighter in some areas. It's on the same rock as the ric. So I turned the rock so that the red part is getting more light for now but the ric is in a little higher flow. Does that help you at all? I'd really like to know what it is. Lol!

If it's type of plate coralline then the lighter yellow and white edges and ridges would be new growth. You can crush it in a mortar and add the powder back to the tank to seed the rock. If it isn't coralline it still won't hurt to do this.

I think the little green mushroom might be a ricordea also. Hopefully it opens more tomorrow and I will be able to tell. Also- do rics have sweeper tentacles? There was a long stringy thing coming off of the yellow ric after the lights went out tonight.

They definitely can sting but I never heard of them using sweepers. These guys are actually a type of simple anemone. Any stringy filament is likely from their oral/anal orifice (either waste or regurgitation). That's my understanding at least.

Ok. So I glued the frogspawn because a crab knocked it into the sand last night. I'm still waiting ever so impatiently for it to fully inflate. I moved the yellow ric lower in the tank into less flow. It looked exactly the same as yesterday and I think it wasn't liking the flow. The green mushroom was more open today.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/57623-albums10765-picture49322.html

I glue it into place also, since I had the glue out. I moved the candy cane to the left side of the tank. That side was looking a little bare since the frogspawn and mushrooms are on the right side.

I found a tiny star fish! It's small with 4 stubby legs and 1 or 2 tinier legs. It's white around the edge with a purplish brown back. I can't get a picture but I'll be researching it.

Lol! I was just looking in the tank and Mr Crabs (emerald crab) just threw a hermit crab off of the rock. Meanie! Lol! Oh, also the new zoas show no sign of opening yet. Hopefully they will soon. They ought to be happy... They are right there with my zoo garden.

Blue doesn't hide from me anymore. He comes to the glass and looks at me like I should be feeding him. :)

Ok. So I glued the frogspawn because a crab knocked it into the sand last night. I'm still waiting ever so impatiently for it to fully inflate. I moved the yellow ric lower in the tank into less flow. It looked exactly the same as yesterday and I think it wasn't liking the flow. The green mushroom was more open today.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/57623-albums10765-picture49322.html

I glue it into place also, since I had the glue out. I moved the candy cane to the left side of the tank. That side was looking a little bare since the frogspawn and mushrooms are on the right side.

I found a tiny star fish! It's small with 4 stubby legs and 1 or 2 tinier legs. It's white around the edge with a purplish brown back. I can't get a picture but I'll be researching it.

Lol! I was just looking in the tank and Mr Crabs (emerald crab) just threw a hermit crab off of the rock. Meanie! Lol! Oh, also the new zoas show no sign of opening yet. Hopefully they will soon. They ought to be happy... They are right there with my zoo garden.

Blue doesn't hide from me anymore. He comes to the glass and looks at me like I should be feeding him. :)

Haha. So Blue has figured out that you are the god of food! :)

Haha. So Blue has figured out that you are the god of food! :)

It seems he has. LOL! So my new zoas have one little polyp that opened and it looks to be a radioactive dragon eye, which is ok. I really like those. The frogspawn still looks sad, and the yellow ric looks the same. I shifted my light so the left side of the tank is getting less direct light. I feel that after 24 hours it should look a little better by now. It's hard to be patient, but really there's nothing I can do about it!

The green mushroom is doing good, a few more of the new zoas are opening, the frogspawn looks exactly the same, the yellow ric maybe a little happier but only just a little. Blue ate about 5 NLS pellets today. I just wish the frogspawn would open! If its not open by tomorrow night what should I do? It's in a lower flow area and in decent light, but not directly under the light. Does it need more light? I read they don't need high light. What kind of light and flow do you guys have yours in?

Back
Top Bottom