fluval Chi to 10 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm using a "toms aquarium perch light" that I got from amazon on my 7 gallon nano.
So far everything is doing well, pulsing xeina, star polyps, mushrooms are all growing well.
Even the candy cane coral I put in is doing well after about two weeks.
Cheek it out. :)

http://www.rapidled.com/06-solderless-led-retrofit-kit/

This is more expensive and you'd still need to buy a heat sink and a bit of diy (not much I swear), but it would be perfect for your system, you could keep whatever you wanted. It says there is only 6 LEDs, but these are 3 watt LEDs, which are the normal thing in reef led lighting. You could choose whatever LEDs you want and the ratio with them. For More money, there is also a dimmable one.

Yea my light fixture uses the 3 watt bulbs and I've got 20 individual lights. So I'm getting 60 watts for 10 gallons. Not bad for a light under $100! I've got softies and different types of polyps right now. Once tank matures I'll be looking to add some hard corals.

Huffers said:
Yea my light fixture uses the 3 watt bulbs and I've got 20 individual lights. So I'm getting 60 watts for 10 gallons. Not bad for a light under $100! I've got softies and different types of polyps right now. Once tank matures I'll be looking to add some hard corals.

Yeah, my 30 has 120w and was 200$ so that's pretty accurate. I love mine, wish it had a bit more variety of led instead of just two colors though.

Bearchumjs said:
The size is good.

So I'd be able to grow zoas, frogspawn, gsp... What about a worm brain? And a flowerpot? Cause I want those too.

I'd wait on the flowerpot because they dont usualy do the best in aquariums

Those corals seem fine, however I would def go about adding them slowly. If the polyps and lps does well then try out a brain coral. The brains usually require quite a bit of light so I'd take it slow and see how the others do before adding such a light dependent coral.

Huffers said:
Those corals seem fine, however I would def go about adding them slowly. If the polyps and lps does well then try out a brain coral. The brains usually require quite a bit of light so I'd take it slow and see how the others do before adding such a light dependent coral.

Thank you. I'll be taking it very very slowly. Probably be awhile before I get the light.

I'm not using a light until I get that light we are talking about. This tank is still in the planning stage. I'll be filling it soon and cycling it but no corals until I get the LED's. After its cycled I'll probably just get a shrimp and a few snails.

scottayy said:
I've had no success with my flowerpot. I don't understand.

They are very fragile and If I was to bet, I'd say there is something they specifically need (mineral or something) that isn't in our salts. Or maybe it's something they don't want that's in our salts..

I'm going to the store to buy my RODI water! I'll have saltwater in my tank soon!

So can I use ammonia to cycle with? What kind of ammonia? I'll see if they have any and maybe begin the cycle tomorrow.

I personally don't like to use straight ammonia for cycling purposes. Just add your live rock and let the live rock start the cycle.

Huffers said:
I personally don't like to use straight ammonia for cycling purposes. Just add your live rock and let the live rock start the cycle.

I'm not getting live rock though. I can just buy a shrimp I guess.

Back
Top Bottom