Fluval Co2 88 - water in line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m5zealot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! Newbee here and my 1st post. I did a search and didn't find answer to my particular question so here goes. I have a Fluval Edge 12 and Aqueon 15 gallon tanks for about a year. I have live plants and fish doing really well. I decided to try CO2 injection in the 15 gallon tank to see if it improves the fauna in my tank. Upgrading to a 40 gallon this summer.

I have noticed in the morning, there is water in the line from the bubble counter to the diffuser. I have to turn the CO2 up really high (one bubble a second) to clear the water in the line to get it working. Is this normal because the instructions or Youtube videos I've seen don't mention it. I did follow advise from one person on Youtube who suggested installing a one way valve like I have in my bubble air pump. After installing it inline, no CO2 was getting thru at all so I removed it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello! Newbee here and my 1st post. I did a search and didn't find answer to my particular question so here goes. I have a Fluval Edge 12 and Aqueon 15 gallon tanks for about a year. I have live plants and fish doing really well. I decided to try CO2 injection in the 15 gallon tank to see if it improves the fauna in my tank. Upgrading to a 40 gallon this summer.

I have noticed in the morning, there is water in the line from the bubble counter to the diffuser. I have to turn the CO2 up really high (one bubble a second) to clear the water in the line to get it working. Is this normal because the instructions or Youtube videos I've seen don't mention it. I did follow advise from one person on Youtube who suggested installing a one way valve like I have in my bubble air pump. After installing it inline, no CO2 was getting thru at all so I removed it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Not to be rude but are u sure the check valve was heading in the right direction it only works one way

Ha, not rude at all!:D I work in IT troubleshooting and I always cringe when my first question to the caller is "Is the unit on or plugged in?"

Yes, I have spare one way valves that are actually marked "in" & "out" and I'm familiar with their orientation.(y) My concern, since this is my first time into the Co2 world is I may be using the wrong type. Are check valves for air to air stones the same for Co2 systems? I'm assuming Co2 operates at a much higher pressure so the ones I have should work.

The check valves used for airstones work for lower pressurized CO2 systems like that you have. If you had a higher pressure co2 regulator like for atomic diffusers, then you'd need special tubing and a metal check valve for higher pressure.

Thanks! I assumed the CO2 system I got Fluval has lower pressure than a regular air pump. I think the check valves I have may be defective, I can barely feel any air coming thru when attached to an air pump.

When and where did you get the fluval CO2 kit? If you don't mind me suggesting, if it's a recent purchase and is returnable, I highly advise you get either a paintball CO2 system or full size. Those fluval systems end up costing you way more in the long run due to their proprietary CO2 refills.

Thanks! I assumed the CO2 system I got Fluval has lower pressure than a regular air pump. I think the check valves I have may be defective, I can barely feel any air coming thru when attached to an air pump.

Just to clarify, the fluval CO2 system has more pressure than an airpump for an airstone. When I referred to it as it being a lower pressurized system, it was in the context of CO2 systems in general. There are pressurized CO2 systems that have the ability to be adjusted for higher working pressures (PSI) and those like GLA's atomic regulators that are permanently set at high pressure.

Ok got it!
Thanks for your concern. I got the Fluval 88 kit a week ago. I know this system will eventually cost more in the long run but just wanted to see if CO2 would really make a difference in my small 15 gallon tank. I did not want to invest into a system I may not need. I’ll be upgrading to a 30 gallon acrylic tank in the summer and will upgrade to a more elaborate CO2 set up for sure.

As I mentioned I have two tanks for a year and all plants/fish were doing very well. I had trouble keeping long sword type plants alive and that is why I wanted to try Co2. I’m happy to report that CO2 really helps! My plants have grown healthier and more lush in just a week of injection! So I’m sold on this CO2 thing! Here is a before pic. I will post an after pic soon! I had to rearrange a few plants and cut my Malaysian drift wood in half to make more room for thriving plants now! This growth in the pic is from original lighting that came with the tank and dosing with Seachem Excel only.

13095921743_98d2de1857_k.jpg

Thanks for your concern. I got the Fluval 88 kit a week ago. I know this system will eventually cost more in the long run but just wanted to see if CO2 would really make a difference in my small 15 gallon tank. I’ll be upgrading to a 30 gallon acrylic tank in the summer and will upgrade to a more elaborate CO2 set up for sure.

As I mentioned I have two tanks running for a year and all plants/fish were doing very well. I had trouble keeping long sword type plants alive and that is why I wanted to try Co2. I’m happy to report that CO2 really helps! My plants have grown healthier and more lush in just a week of injection! So I’m sold on this CO2 thing! Here is a before pic. I will post an after pic soon! I had to rearrange a few plants and cut my Malaysian drift wood in half to my more room for thriving plants now!

13095921743_98d2de1857_k.jpg

I have the same fluval kit and I've experienced the same issue with the retraction of CO2, ergo water between the diffuser and the bubble counter. I've got a (correctly installed (I work in IT as well (I'm a BI developer (Just passed my 70-463 exam today)))(Did I close all those brackets?)) check valve and a solenoid on a timer so it normally sorts itself out between when it comes on at 1530 and when I get home at 1800 so it's flowing at a normal rate.

I'd ***-u-me that it's the pressure of, in my case (the diffuser is quite low in the tank) about 90 litres of water wanting to escape out of the diffuser and into the outside world. So unless above the water line you've got a check valve I'd say we're stuck with it. I'm happy to be proven wrong though!! I'm basically just talking outta my butt :)

Back
Top Bottom