Flying Fox Just Lost His Black Stripe!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, could be a number of reasons. Water parameters, temperature change, stress, etc. Need more info regarding tank size, water conditions (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels), tankmates, water temp, etc. Some fish are pale when the lights are out, and color up after the lights come on, so that might be a factor. I have read that they do not get along with other flying foxes, but I am not certain about this. Also, these fish do lose their color when being netted, so stress is probably the culprit.

Well, e-cat seems to think you were recently asking about cycling, so my money's on ammonia poisoning. No accusations here, though. A lot of people are misled by LFS employees into buying a tank and fish on the same day!

To tell if it is an ammonia problem, buy (or use, if you have one) a test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If the ammonia is above 0, or .25 parts per million (ppm), it is almost certainly the source of your problem.

If this is the case, do a water change fast, or add bio-spira (highly recommended by all ppl on this site!). It will cycle your tank for you quickly. It's not easy to get, though. So look into it on the web, or post a topic asking for Bio-Spira. Allivymar says it's tough to get Bio-Spira in Canada, so you might want to start asking now.

Also good for neutralizing ammonia are the packs that Aquaclear (and other companies) make to add to your filter. This should help.

(IF ammonia is your problem!!!)

My flying fox often looses his clour after lights out and gets almost white. I assume stress could do the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom