"Foggy" water? Cycle related?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

poseidon27

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am about the 6th week of cycle in new 10 gal. Nitrates are high(good). but as of yesterday (over period 6 hrs) the water got super foggy. So foggy I can't see through it more than 2 inches. Is this part of the cycle??? What could this be?

No expert, but it sounds normal to me. Just part of the cycling process. Keep up with the water changes regularly. Once a week, maybe 20% max. Cloudy water is usually a bacteria bloom. You need to develop good bacteria in your tank which happens over time. Keep testing ammonia .. You want it 0. And your nitrites and nitrates. Nitrites you want 0, nitrates should be on the low side.. Under 10.. I like mine under 5. My cycle process took about 8 weeks without fish. Well worth the wait. Don't rush it or complications can happen easy. When your tank is ready, remember to add only a few fish at a time to avoid sudden changes in the water and levels. And please remember not to over crowd your tank:) good luck! Hope this was helpful! Google is great but don't listen to everything! Do your research :)

Here is an article that's one of the best I've seen on bacterial bloom, causes and effects.
Heterotrophic Bacteria and Their Practical Application in a Freshwater Aquarium

It's true a bloom can happen in new tanks, but it can happen to any tank under some circumstances and I think any tank keeper should have some understanding of the issues involved. The bacteria causing a bloom have nothing to do with those we are trying to grow in our filters to convert fish waste. They are different species, that reproduce much faster and can cause high ammonia levels, so solving the problem is helpful to getting the cycle finished.

Hello pose...

The water chemistry in a small tank can change frequently. It's because there isn't much water to dilute the changes, so they can be severe. I would suggest changing half the water in the tank about every 3 to 4 days and get a good, cut to fit poly fiber medium. HBH and Acurel make a very good product.

By flushing a lot of pure, treated tap water through the tank reqularly, you'll remove the particles floating in the water. The fiber medium will attract and hold what's left and should clear up the water in a day or two.

If the tank hasn't been running long, then keep up with the water changes and give the tank water time to settle.

B

If this is a bacterial bloom then nothing short of antibiotics or a uv sterilizer will clear it up. Water changes can help a little but time is really the only reliable remedy for bacterial blooms. They show up because there is free ammonia or nitrate in the water for the other bacteria to consume.

If this is a bacterial bloom then nothing short of antibiotics or a uv sterilizer will clear it up. Water changes can help a little but time is really the only reliable remedy for bacterial blooms. They show up because there is free ammonia or nitrate in the water for the other bacteria to consume.

Thank you. This is a big help!

Back
Top Bottom