food for eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwenavir

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have three danios, one bichir, and one silver dollar in the same tank. they all eat the same thing, blood worms. i'm curious if i should be feeding them something else as well. they all seem just fine in health, but i'm wondering if their missing out on nutrition needed. i'm pretty new at this and i'd really like for them to continue living. so if anyone has any helpful hints i could sure use them. thank you
gwenavir rose

Fish food should be varied for a proper diet. Quality flake food, blood worms, brine shrimp, fresh peas, etc. Look up your specific fish for details on what they like and should be fed.

aquarius is right, just like how people cant live on just steak (its a good thought though) fish need a varied diet, flakes usually cover everything

what bloodworms are you feeding them, frozen or freeze dried

i feed my peacock eel shrimp pellets(drop them in right before my lights go out). i do masquito larva but he dosnt eat it in front of me there are also ghost shrimp in my tank that have gone missing(their intended purpose mind you)

My fire eels eat bloodworms and beefheart. Nothing else. the other fish eat flake food plus what I feed the eels.

i dunno what bichirs eat, but silver dollars and danios are omnivores (silvers are more prone to being herbs though). so they need flakes.

and wolf is right about fish like, fire eels, BGKs, butterflyfish are usually strict carnivores

How big is the tank, and what species is the bichir? Those critters grow quite large, even the smallest species go to 12". They are predators, and will eat anything small enough to fit in their mouth. The danio's will be food sooner or later, the silver dollar depends on how fast the relative growth rates are. (If the silver dollar grows fast enough, it may be safe.)
Silver dollars (several species sold under that name) are all schooling fish, and should have some veggie food in their diet. Spirulina flakes are good for that. Ghost shrimp would be appreciated by the bicher, as well as an occaisonal earthworm (chopped up if it's too big to be eaten whole). They will also eat feeder fish, though that may not be a good idea. You run the risk of unhealthy feeders carrying disease, and infecting the other fish. Sinking pellets are also suitable for the bichir.

toddnbecka said:
Beefheart isn't a good food to be fed often, though occaisonal use isn't bad.

I totally agree, that's why i said "on top of" in the beginning of my statement. I only feed beefheart on a monthly basis to my bichirs.

I feed it to my fire eels almost every day with bloodworms. And they are very healthy.

Edit:
An occasional finger as well, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom