Food recommendations for a honey gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Contrary to what I've read about honey gouramis, my gourami, Mr. Mango, is a pretty finicky eater! Sometimes it seems like something he likes one day, he spits out the next day.

So far, he seems most keen on Omega One veggie micro pellets (originally for my gold clouds minnows as other food I had didn't quite fit in their mouths) and Aqueon betta food. The betta and gourami are NOT kept in the same tank.

Just as a general health practice, I tried feeding him a cooked pea that had been cut into very small portions, as I've been in the habit of giving my betta a pea once a week and the betta readily eats it. I expected the same behavior from Mr. Mango but he kept swallowing it and immediately spitting it out.

He seems to put up with tetra color flakes, but surprisingly doesn't like freeze dried bloodworms!

I can't get anything else just yet, but what other food recommendations do you guys have for a picky gourami? I plan on getting some frozen food in a few weeks, which would be better: frozen brine shrimp or frozen bloodworms?

Note: I'm allergic to onion and garlic, so I don't think I can get anything from New Life Spectrum.

My honey gourami absolutely loves Omega one super carnivore mixed with Formula 2 to (get his veggies).

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gourami and betta are related as I'm sure you know so feeding betta food isn't a problem. I have had a lot of bettas from Thailand to Petco bettas and they all really love frozen blood worms and live worms. I tend to target feed the bettas as they can't swim so fast to get to the food if there are others in the tank. Also I only recommend Hikari brand bloodworms for the frozen. I got a parasite in another common brand and it wiped out all my peacock gudgeons and most of my rainbows like a year ago. I personally don't have a microscope but this parasite was found in other samples of this particular food by people with microscopes. You also have to watch with freeze dried blood worms if you don't soak them first in some water they may expand in the fish's stomachs. Not sure if there's science to back that up but yeah.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gourami and betta are related as I'm sure you know so feeding betta food isn't a problem. I have had a lot of bettas from Thailand to Petco bettas and they all really love frozen blood worms and live worms. I tend to target feed the bettas as they can't swim so fast to get to the food if there are others in the tank. Also I only recommend Hikari brand bloodworms for the frozen. I got a parasite in another common brand and it wiped out all my peacock gudgeons and most of my rainbows like a year ago. I personally don't have a microscope but this parasite was found in other samples of this particular food by people with microscopes. You also have to watch with freeze dried blood worms if you don't soak them first in some water they may expand in the fish's stomachs. Not sure if there's science to back that up but yeah.

Been feeding Omega one for 6 years and formula 2 without any problems. What brand was it if you don't mind me asking?

Been feeding Omega one for 6 years and formula 2 without any problems. What brand was it if you don't mind me asking?

Pm me if you want to know. Not going to get myself in trouble for brand bashing on here.

Back
Top Bottom