food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Why, if cichlids natural diet consists mainly of vegetation, are store sold cichlid foods high in fish protein? There seem to be many conflicting views on this subject. Are store bought cichlid foods the best one can do to provide a healthy diet for their fish? Are people that disagree with fish food manufactures just ignorant "know-it-alls"?

It depends on the cichlid.

SA/NW like jack dempseys, angelfish, gbr, firemouths, convicts etc need a higher protein diet.

africans for the most part eat more vegetation.

Personally, I make my own food now except for the once a week treat of frozen foods.

DragonFish71 said:
It depends on the cichlid.

SA/NW like jack dempseys, angelfish, gbr, firemouths, convicts etc need a higher protein diet.

africans for the most part eat more vegetation.

Personally, I make my own food now except for the once a week treat of frozen foods.

Seems silly to me if that's the case... why not have specific diets? People love their fish and would buy it. It's just not possible that the manufactures are ignorant as to what these fishes specific diets are. It's not possible that its out of laziness. What then is the reason?

There are cichlid species specific foods out there. Some for blood reds, some for mbuna africans, some for oscars. If people educate themselves by researching the right type of food, it isn't a problem.

DragonFish71 said:
There are cichlid species specific foods out there. Some for blood reds, some for mbuna africans, some for oscars. If people educate themselves by researching the right type of food, it isn't a problem.

Yeah... I guess I should look further than petco. lol. Still kinda silly for them to sell cichlids with different diets and sell only crill, shrimp, or fish protein staple food for cichlids in general. I'm not freaking out or anything... just not understanding why I can't find Mbuna flakes at petco. I would definitely look into making my own food but I'm not going to create unnecessary work for myself.

Look for spirulina flakes or pellets. Some on here suggest the New Life Spectrum brand of foods. I found that in the long run, making my own was least expensive and not that bad as far as time consuming. Make a big enough batch and it lasts a while. Here's the recipe I use for our fish, and once we have our africans, I'll be using it as well. I tweaked it a little for the fish we have now which have a higher protein diet by adding beef heart and some garlic juice for an appetite stimulant.

DIY Frozen Fish Food (DIY FISH FOOD PROJECTS)

DragonFish71 said:
Look for spirulina flakes or pellets. Some on here suggest the New Life Spectrum brand of foods. I found that in the long run, making my own was least expensive and not that bad as far as time consuming. Make a big enough batch and it lasts a while. Here's the recipe I use for our fish, and once we have our africans, I'll be using it as well. I tweaked it a little for the fish we have now which have a higher protein diet by adding beef heart and some garlic juice for an appetite stimulant.

DIY Frozen Fish Food (DIY FISH FOOD PROJECTS)

I did read that recipe earlier. Thank you for sharing it and for your input... knowing myself ill probably try both your recipe and store bought.

Bought some small pellets from petco.... garbage. Price was right but all of my fish spit them out over and over. They eventually ate most of them but the food was all wrong... It floated and my smaller fish didn't get any... took it back and got more flakes. I'm not sure if I can do better but they love them and they all eat during feeding.

Same problem here. Only one of mine will eat the pellets, none of them will eat any vegetables but they tear up bloodworms and love the flakes. It's working so I guess it's trial and error. Apparently not all fish live by the book.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Next time in the LFS look at the protein content of spirulina......

The protein content is so high because the moisture content is low. In nature fresh food is 90% water only leaving 10% to be of nutritional value.

Try NLS cichlid. NLS has formulated a food that satisfys the dietry requirements of cichlids so you don't have to worry too much if your fish are plant or meat eaters.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom