Found Old rusted clip in tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boges_au2006

Aquarium Advice Activist
What would this do to my tank? it is second hand and i thought i cleaned it out well when i got it but i found yesterday a rather large clip that was all rusted in there. what would this do to my tank??

also i have found a few things that look like glass shards from like a heater or themometer but i checked them and they are fine. what would this be from?? cheers

Found this in the substrate I assume.

The glass is harmless assuming mercury didn't get into the tank. Metal rusting could prove hurtful to stock though and I'd run CupriSorb for a couple of weeks to help remove it.

Do you currently have any mobile inverts?

boges_au2006 said:
What would this do to my tank? it is second hand and i thought i cleaned it out well when i got it but i found yesterday a rather large clip that was all rusted in there. what would this do to my tank??
What kind of metal? I had a Marine magnetic cleaner that rusted, because I left it in the tank, but I didn't see any adverse effects. How long has it been in there?
boges_au2006 said:
also i have found a few things that look like glass shards from like a heater or themometer but i checked them and they are fine. what would this be from??
You are probably right, it may have been from a broken thermometer. In my case the glass would be from when I switched out my substrate and, for some reason, I decided to use a glass and not a plastic cup....DOH!!!

the metal clip is one of them crap i forget what you call em. but its made from the same thing as a paper clip is. i am not sure. im guessing its been there for awhile.

well i checked the thermometer and also the heater and both looked fine. so im unsure where this has come from. live rock maybe?? as i seem to notice it when i put new rock in. hmm.

Back
Top Bottom