fountain pump experiment gone wrong tonight lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaymz_Eric

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey you all know those little fountains you put on your desk or shelf that come with a submersible pump? i took mine apart and got the sealed pump and stuck it in my tank hoping it would do something cool, it didn't, so i decided to take the samll like 1/2 " hose off my gravel cleaner and stick it on the output of the pump to see if i could do faster water changes or tank drains. i hook it all up and turn it on and it starts gushing the water out into a bucket, good deal right? wrong...it was putting more water out than what i could control, for the record i was only gonna take out 2 gallons and put new water back in lol, ended up being a rescue mission almost, that sucker was fast i can drain my tank in under 3 minutes though, all but abuut 1/8 " of water lol and yes i did unplug it at first but you knwo how gravity is, i think i'll revise my plan of attack and try it agian aanother time, maybe have an aresnal of buckets waiting lol

Oh well no wonder with a 10 gal tank. Get yourself a maxijet 1200 and use that to drain the tank and pump water up to the tank from a bucket. The maxijet will push 295gph at 0' head but by the time you get it to pump up 5' the flow is down to something like 50gph.

Back
Top Bottom