Foxface rabbitfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was given a Foxface Rabbitfish today and before I pick it up and put it Into my tank is there something I should think about first ?
1) I have a 7 year old daughter that loves putting her hands in when she is feeding the fish . Now with a venomous fish will it sting or attack ?
2) the most aggressive fish I have is probably a tang .
Will this Foxface hurt or attack the tang ?
3) corals ,
I read live aquaria.com and it says if it's fed well I won't pick or eat corals .
Any opinions ?
Pro and con ?

I had one and they are awesome fish!!! Mine didn't bite at corals and was completely mellow. If your worried about her getting stung, I had my hands in the tank doing work in the tank all of the time and if you got closed to it it would swim away. Really awesome fish

Well free Foxface is home .
He did change color ( stress and camouflage ?)
I was told they will play dead ?
He is hiding in a corner by my power head , is this normal ?

image-1704026860.jpg

After my tang chased him , nipped at him he went here and hid .

Attachments

• image-1644467628.jpg
    image-1644467628.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 148
image-2098301449.jpg

While being bullied by a tang he got to meet mrs anemone first hand ,
It wasn't much to get him out of her crutch but she burnt him badly .
I feel so bad , this kinda makes me sad i hope he pulls through tonight .
Are tangs normally this aggressive with new fish ?

Attachments

• image-2413143027.jpg
    image-2413143027.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 124
  • image-2594456699.jpg
    image-2594456699.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 303
I always shut the lights off when I add a new fish, it helps alot. Lets the new fish get their bearings
:)

While being bullied by a tang he got to meet mrs anemone first hand , It wasn't much to get him out of her crutch but she burnt him badly . I feel so bad , this kinda makes me sad i hope he pulls through tonight . Are tangs normally this aggressive with new fish ?

Yes. Surgeonfish are very aggressive usually. And they have the tools to hurt other fish.

Yes. Surgeonfish are very aggressive usually. And they have the tools to hurt other fish.

I thought a Foxface being venomous could hold his own against anything
What would you suggest I do ?
He isn't dead yet but doesn't look good ,I'll be surprised if he pulls through through the night .
How much damage do you think the anemone done by the marks ?

Can you isolate him with a divider or even a big net? He needs a safety zone if he has any chance of making it. Even a well rinsed off opaque cup or piece of PVC.

Can you isolate him with a divider or even a big net? He needs a safety zone if he has any chance of making it. Even a well rinsed off opaque cup or piece of PVC.

I made a Tupperware with holes but he is hiding in the rocks now ,

Youre in a tough spot. :-( Moving him can stress him but leaving him there with the aggressive fish isnt the best idea either. If it were me, I would shut down the lights for the night and hope for the best. I've learned not to add anything to my tang tank, they can be nasty buggers. What kind of tang do you have?

Youre in a tough spot. :-( Moving him can stress him but leaving him there with the aggressive fish isnt the best idea either. If it were me, I would shut down the lights for the night and hope for the best. I've learned not to add anything to my tang tank, they can be nasty buggers. What kind of tang do you have?

Ok tang police .
I'll confess
I started with a kole tang and bought a orange shoulder before doing any research .
Than the most aggressive one I was given a powder blue a few weeks ago .
I couldn't resist the most beautiful fish for the best price ( free )

I turned the bright lights off and have him in a Tupperware container at the top of my tank .
He seams to be better and not being chased at all .

How should I introduce him without him being beaten up by my bully ?

Where is mr. Ex when reliable , wise advice is needed

Powder blues are known to be quite aggressive. :-( How large is the tank? The answer may help us help you, if the tank dimensions are too small there might not be much you can do really, 3 tangs in a maybe too small tank and you add another large fish just spells trouble, even in my 6 foot long tank my tangs are relentless with any new additions and my tangs arent considered that that aggressive.

Powder blues are known to be quite aggressive. :-( How large is the tank? The answer may help us help you, if the tank dimensions are too small there might not be much you can do really, 3 tangs in a maybe too small tank and you add another large fish just spells trouble, even in my 6 foot long tank my tangs are relentless with any new additions and my tangs arent considered that that aggressive.

It's a 75 gal

Back
Top Bottom