Fragging and attaching frags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aznbob

Aquarium Advice Regular
When cutting corals into frags and attaching frags to live rocks are they done out of water or in water in a bucket? If attaching is done in water is it safe to have wet super glue in the tank?

Take the rocks and frags out of the water and glue them together. Then let the glue set a few secs and put the glued piece right back in the water. The frags will be fine out of the water for a few mins. The glue will "dry" in the water. You will have the best results using super glue gel.

Depends on what you are frag'n as well. Fishing line can work wonders to hold things only a rock as well. Just lightly tie it down and give it a few days of low flow, it should attach.

This works great for softies/shrooms, etc. Superglue gel otherwise works well for me also, just not on the slimy frags.

just as a note. dont frag toadstools ( sarcophyton) in the tank. they can deflate when cut and release toxins in the water

steve r

Most things will release a slime when fragged. I would frag most everything outside the tank. Corals do get exposed to air in the wild.

What great timing. I have a Toad Stool that's in the process of throwing a baby. I was going to help it along a little and cut the remaining thread off of the momma. I guess I'll just wait it out for the baby to drop on her own. Hmmph. Learn something new every day.

Superglue Gel is a must. I find the Loc-Tite brand better than the bigger brand name. It holds better, IMO.

I have fragged sinualria fingers off in the tank. It was too big to remove. I would just cut one or two arms at a time and then not touch it for a week or so. When I fragged my toadstool, I cut an inch off the whole outer edge so it made a donut with a big hole in the middle. I then cut that into smaller pieces. I let the mother colony set in a bucket for a few minute before placing it back into the tank.

It will depend on how much water you have in your system as well. A larger tank can handle these changes better. It is a good idea to run carbon afterwards as well if you don't normally.

Back
Top Bottom