Fresh to salt conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian Vartanian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, i have a new freshwater aquarium. it has been cycling for a month now so i could have gotten a stingray for it, but i have since dropped that idea because i think the ray will grow much to fast for the tank. i want to get some other fish that look nice so i figured salt water is the way to go. i have read that i can use all of my existing filters, beneficial bacteria, and testing kits for the tank. I know the tank will need to cycle agian, but will my existing bacteria make it cycle faster?

My other questions, is how to i got about doing the conversion?
Should i replace my gravel for sand?
can i add salt to my existing water?

i have read that i can use all of my existing filters, beneficial bacteria, and testing kits for the tank
Filters - yes
Bacteria -no
test kit -depends on the kit (probably not)
Your tank will have to go through a whole new cycle.

Yes you should replace the gravel with sand or CC.(preferably sand)
Do not add salt to your existing water. Mix it externally then add it to the tank.

Trash can or bucket with a power head or pump in it. It does not mix instantly. If you put it in your tank it will just sink to the bottom. Also needs to mix 24 to oxygenate the water

oh ok. Does this need to run constantly?

what other things would i need to get the tank setup up so i can add some cheap fish to get it cycling

Do not cycle with live fish. That is a NO-No. Read under articles how to do a fishless cycle

Back
Top Bottom