fresh water shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there such a thing? And would I accidentally get them confused with fry in my tanks?

Do you mean something like the little ghost shrimp? If so, I wouldn't think it would be a problem.
Would like to know how hard they are to breed as my turtle would love them!

same here... I am just looking for a shrimp that would supplement the diet of my community tanks. Plus I want to add a little diversity to my tanks.

I know you can get them at several of the chain pet / fish stores (not sure what the rules are here for mentioning store names). One store I've heard they're about $.13 but the only place I've seen them they were $.33.

Have you tried snails? Turtle loves them & nursed a blue acara back to life on them. Mine came as hitch-hikers from some plants, though I know most people consider them pests.

wow now that you mention it the snail invasion in my tank has died down!

I have seen the brine shrimp kits for sale and now that you mention it I have seen them at PetCo and the like. I may need to try to get some next time I am out.

You can mention store names :)

brine shrimps need saltwater, they need SG aroudn 1.024~1.026 or else they will die soon IME n research online.
ghost shrimps r really good addition to the tank, they eat anything leftover on the bottom of the tank. petsmart have ghost shrimps, but becareful the shrimps sometimes will have a white like parasite inside them, so look carefully before you intro to your tank.

Thanks, I say enough stupid things, don't want to risk trouble :moon: Someone I spoke with on a turtle forum said she'd gotten them at a Pet Supplies Plus near Cleveland and they were about $.11-13 a head, but none of the locations near me carry them. The closest PetSmart carries them & they're $.33, but I can buy plants from them & get the snails for free! Biggest pain is that they're so small & difficult to find, you usually need a store-keeper to point them out.

I'd rather enjoyed the snail army I'd cultivated - a few times a week I could scoop several dozen out & drop them in Phil's tank & watch her hunt (it was calcium, protein, exercise & entertainment in one little shell), and I would almost swear that they multiplied like the seven-headed hydra! Then a blue acara in my boyfriend's tank developed ich, lost a large chunk of his tail, & was nearly beaten to death by a psychotic meeki. In hopes of saving him, moved the little guy into my 20 gal. After several months of a steady snail-based diet, he more than doubled in size and had beautiful coloring. Sadly, he also eliminated my army :-(

yeah they do tend to go hog wild when they multiply!

*lol* was at PetLand yesterday and a family was in there, the one younger kid was looking at the dwarf african frog. Mom said that the frog would need land. I told them that that type of frog lives underwater and come to the surface for air. She said something about feeding it and I said that the freeze dried shrimp/bloodworms should do the trick and that the worms would be a special treat for the fish too....

...Sort of sucks when you're at a pet store and end up knowing just as much or more than the folks working the department.... The girl working there was helping someone else so I chimed in with my 2 cents.

I've seen easy DIY set-ups for brine shrimp, most with at least a 50% hatch rate. Hoping that the eventual addition of rams won't keep the little snails from coming back, they were oddly interesting & delicious!

As for 'schooling' employees, it is kind of difficult & depressing to realize how little they know about the animals they're caring for, but then when they probably aren't paid much more than the minimum. Did have the chance to try to convince someone how cool mystery and apple snails can be. Almost imitated the way their little mouths move when they eat off the glass but refrained. . .

Cherry Shrimp seem to be the easiest shrimp to breed. They don't need SW or brackish. You just need a cycled 5-10g tank w/ sponge filter, good food, and perfect water conditions...and you are good to go.

*lol*

funny thign is I usually hear a question in the fish dept and am at the point where I can give an answer.... I have come a long way in a year or so *lol*

Yeah and they end up getting just min wage which sucks. The more you pay someone the more they want to do their job right.

problem with ghost shrimp there are several species sold under that name. some will breed in fw some wont. also they been know to attack fry.

Is there an easy way to distinguish between the types, especially those that will breed & those that won't? All I've every seen were dingy gray ones.

better than me, either my eye sight is going or I am looking in empty tanks when I see the labels for them.

Is there an easy way to distinguish between the types, especially those that will breed & those that won't? All I've every seen were dingy gray ones.
buy them and try. though i would go with something like cherry shrimp. might cost a little more but are a lot better i think. you can see them better and should leave the fry alone.

buy them and try. though i would go with something like cherry shrimp. might cost a little more but are a lot better i think. you can see them better and should leave the fry alone.

From what I can find online. Cherry shrimp tend to stay up your plants in the filter flow? If thats mostly correct not very good for a tank clean up crew then?

better than me, either my eye sight is going or I am looking in empty tanks when I see the labels for them.

Not a matter of eye-sight, it's hard to find a tiny dingy gray creature scuttling over dingy gray gravel. And some don't move that much so I'd think it would be hard to just get live ones.

Where can you find the cherry shrimp?

As for imitating the snails, it really is cool to watch them scale the sides of the tank & watch that little mouth that's probably 5-times the size of their brain!

Back
Top Bottom