FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wrinkled leaves....Hmmm, that's a head scratcher. How much glut are you dosing daily?
Also maybe look at your potassium dosing and I know you have the good root tabs so I don't think that would be it. If you've got the extra slide in your pocket, look at the BML fixture for that size tank. Go with the high light with dimmer but not the ultra high XB series. OS.

The reason for your wrinkled AR Leaves is a lack of Co2. It's typically with any plant. I've gone through this before with AR Mini. I suspect the DIY co2 isn't cutting it. It may also be the problem of your Staurogyne Repens, but I doubt it.

When i dose pps pro i separate all 3 macros into individual bottles. I then use a nutrient calculator on GLA's website to determine how much fert to mix in the bottle and how much of the solution to dose to reach my desired levels in the tank. It definitely takes time to learn and understand how the nutrient levels build up but GLA has some great tools to help you get a regimen. I would post a link but im posting from my phone!

I'd take pressurized co2 over new lights anyday...

Try upping the micros, as well. You've got a lot of plant mass in there, that might be requiring more than just the standard dose.

I agree with Bill go for a good pressurized CO2 set up and drop checker first. I forgot you said you have DIY CO2. LOL Don't you love how well we like to spend your money!!?? OS.

There's a weird phenomenon going on with Finnex Ray 2 and FugeRay's (and I suspect with other all white LEDs) when it comes to red plants. There's been numerous complaints (mine included) that they tend to fade red plants to green... in the case of AR mini = more bronze. That's why, for while now, you'll see Ray 2 owners who have red plants complain and ultimately solve their issue by adding a MonsterRay. That is before the Planted+ came out.

CO2 does play a crucial role, too. But ever since I switched to LED's that supplement red light, my reds overall, got better. I don't get it either because 'they say' that red plants 'reflect' red and absorb blue light -- that's why they appear red. But maybe it's like the equivalent of us getting a tan to reflect certain rays of the sun? Maybe red plants develop more red (anthocyanin) when red light is present so that they can more efficiently absorb other wavelengths?

So... I have determined, that my AR mini is doing so much better in my 60p (14" tall) with Sat+ lights (x2 ~medium light) versus how they are doing in my super shallow 60f w/ a Ray 2 suspended over it (~high light). Both CO2 injected... both PPS-Pro. However, there are some differences that may account for this. My 60p has new Aqua Soil (although it's Africana and known to not be as fortified as Amazonia), I also dose extra chelated Fe, and my 60F is on DIY co2 + Glut at the moment because my CO2 paintball tank ran out. I'm going to get them refilled today and go back on pressurized. I'll see if the AR mini improves. If it doesn't than it's not the co2 and has to do with light (spectrum?) and substrate (nutrients?)... maybe Iron too (although some people discredit Iron as a means to achieve better reds)?

Ahh... the experiments we go through!

IMO a little Iron does help. And you are onto something about the light. My T5HO fixture has 3-6000k and 1-5000K Geiseman bulbs. By the old standard they put out 3.8 wpg. I don't remember the PAR right now but it was solid high light at 18". All I used was glut at a rate of 1ml/2gal for a year and the AR mini did great and was very red. The curled leaves... I started getting some awhile back when I tried to skimp on glut at 1ml/10gal. Went back to 1ml/2gal and all was fine afterwards. So IMO carbon, light and a little iron are important to these little guys. OS.

Wow...thanks for the responses! I posted some concerns before a long day at work today and I check back and get a lot a great posts. AA crowd, you never disappoint me.

I have a drop checker and lately its been on the greenish blue to blue side. Was lime green when I ran the DIY CO2 through a ceramic diffuser but that was short lived. And even piped into the HOB, the color was green most of the time. I ran out of diluted glut so I skipped daily glut for about a week. My fert regimen changed up a bit to reduce the nitrate and bumb up the phosphate. I was running two 2L DIY CO2 generators for several months then switched to two 1L bottles (more space in the cabinet). The non-green plants are relatively new whereas previously I was running less demanding (and more forgiving) plants. I try to stick to dosing root pellets around the same time every month but that does not always go as planned. Been hesistant to deviate from the trace recommendation since I have not tests to base the adjustments on.

Oh, too many variables. So some of the key factors are:
CO2, Lights with supplemental reds, Substrate nutrients, Iron

In my next post I will be requesting opinions on regulators. I do have my eye on the Finnex Planted+. The BML is a bit pricey. It's late, I'm tired and I'm going to bed and will dream about waffles or pancakes.

Help me select a regulator!

I am in the process of selecting a regulator. My objective is to supply CO2 for a 20g long (though that may change in the future), medium to heavily planted with medium light requirements. Currently using DIY CO2. Ferts: PPS-Pro/Glut/Aqua Fertz root pellets; lighting: Finnex FugeRay (may upgrade to the Planted+ model). Something to fit a regular tank (can get an adapter for a paintball tank if necessary). Dual gauge; solenoid; bubble counter optional.

Here are a few from Amazon. I wanted to research these before I venture onto the GLA site (so many options). Looking for opinions, reviews, comments on these items:
U.P. Aqua CO2 Regulator w/ Double Gauges
U.P. Aqua CO2 Regulator for Aquarium
Premium AQUATEK CO2 Regulator with Integrated COOL TOUCH Solenoid

All three look pretty good to me. I kind of lean towards the Aqua-Tec as it is more known by many in here. Plus it's a little cheaper. IMO go for a 5# tank. Most places that refill charge a certain minimum amount for their service. For a couple dollars more you could have a six months supply before refill as opposed to a monthly refill. OS.

I use the Aquatek Paintball system with my 10 gallon. I have 2 24 oz paintball tanks that last about 4 months each. You can easily get them filled at Dicks sporting goods. The only negative about the aquatek is during the first bit of usage it does not have a consistent BPS but does after about a week. Also I was able to use a GLA Atomic diffuser with mine and it has also made my system more efficient.

+1 to the GLA Atomic diffusors. I have the 55mm one and love it. I have two so I can swap out immediately for the one that needs cleaning. I soak it in H2O2 for about an hour, rinse and store in a zip loc bag till next swap out. (about every two months). OS.

I have Aquatek mini regulators, too. If size is a concern, they're great. But if you have room, definitely a full size is the way to go. But all 3 of my Aquatek minis work great. Largest tank one is being used on is a 26g. Lasts 3 to 4 months before refills.

I am leaning towards the AquaTeck regulator. Thank you for the feedback.

Here's a pic of the right side of the cabinet (please excuse the mess):
TNyTDW0.jpg

The clear plastic ruler is 12"/30cm. There is about 24" of vertical space present. A 5# tank is about 18" tall. Add a few more inches for the regulator. About the shelf...I may have to use a scroll saw and cut an appropriately sized circle in the shelf to fit the tank. Or I could notch it out on the front side but I am concerned with the integrity of the shelf if I did that. My other choice is to mount the tank on either side of the stand. That is when I asked my wife for some input on the subject. After several eye rolls and pretending to pass out when I talk about aquarium stuff (typical), she said placing it outside of the stand would be fine if it is not the first thing you see when you walk into the room (shiny metal tank = eye sore). We then spoke about tanks, regulators, etc. She suggested renting a tank rather than buying one since the rental fee should be nominal and swapping tanks would (should) guarantee that the tank is certified. I forgot that she deals with laboratory equipment that utilize pressurized gases (N2, He, O2, CO2) on a daily basis at work.

So I am now searching for local companies (Northern VA) that rent tanks and do refills/swaps. My other choice is to buy a 5# tank online from Amazon and find a place that will do refills. From what I understand the 5# tank should last several months at least.

Comments and suggestions welcome!

David, as I said in a previous post I have your exact same stand on my 29g. I left out the middle shelf for the canister to fit and UV unit. If you have a nice way to keep the CO2 unit in sight, do it. I find that I constantly check the bubble count and timer operation every time I sit and look at the tank. Opening up the cabinet door that often would be a PITA for me. OS.

David, as I said in a previous post I have your exact same stand on my 29g. I left out the middle shelf for the canister to fit and UV unit. If you have a nice way to keep the CO2 unit in sight, do it. I find that I constantly check the bubble count and timer operation every time I sit and look at the tank. Opening up the cabinet door that often would be a PITA for me. OS.

Oh that's right. So you know what in taking about. Currently the DIY setup is in the cabinet and added a night light because it's a bit dark in there. I don't mind sliding the door open to check it out. As for the shelf, I can cut off 25-30% of it and support it with a shelf bracket. Much easier than cutting a circle (I loaned out my jig/scroll saw).
If I mount it outside of the stand then it will require moving the tank+stand about 6" to the right to allow ample clearance for a closet door.

Going to make some phone calls today to inquire about tank rentals and purchases and CO2.

Update: Well, no updates yet. Did not make any calls to local gas supply companies (life gets in the way).

Not ready to pull the trigger on the Aquatek regulator. Trolled the TPT forum for "Aquatek vs GLA regulator" and a recent thread did not speak highly of Aquatek's product reliability and customer service. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=557146
I understand that there could be some variance in quality. But the GLA 3 year warranty and excellent customer service reviews is definitely a selling point.

Back to the tank, I found a clot of yeast in the tubing that feeds into the HOB intake. Output is much better now; plants are pearling! Drop checker changing from blue to green. Hoping the increased CO2 will improve the AR mini leaf condition until I settle of the regulator.

Man I know how you feel. It's hard to pull the trigger on a GLA system because of the price but I'm glad I did now. It only hurt a little while. LOL. OS.

Back
Top Bottom