FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to her about your mom's tank. I saw that product yesterday while surfing Amazon for erythromycin. Not familiar with it. Good luck. The reviews look positive.
I ended up going to Petsmart at lunch time today to pickup the the API EM. I told my coworkers I had to pick up some antibiotics for a personal "problem" that I'd rather not talk about (who wants to talk about Cyanobacteria?) That drew some remarks.
Thanks again for the Blyxa. It is one of the faster growing plants in my tank. Didn't you use it in one of your Iwugami setups at one time?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, David. If the UltraLife works well and if your antibiotics don't, I'll see about sending you enough dosage for the tank with more UG.

Here's the iwagumi you're referring to. Didn't get to fully let it grow out due to that apartment fire I had a year ago. It made progress in that short run, however. In hindsight, I don't really like my hardscape layout. It would have been somewhat disguised with a grown out garden though. LOL

Well he's closer to you than I am and he possesses a certain set of skills. He will find algae. And he will kill it.

Think you mis-quoted me fresh.. it's more like.. "I will bring algae.. and I will grow it" this was a clear case of mistaken identity.. you're papa plants!! I'm papa bba

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll take your skillz in a heartbeat if you come my way!!

Lots of H2O2, CO2, less light. And patience. You should have seen my tank this time 2 years ago :( It's buried in the thread somewhere

Thanks, David. If the UltraLife works well and if your antibiotics don't, I'll see about sending you enough dosage for the tank with more UG.

Here's the iwagumi you're referring to. Didn't get to fully let it grow out due to that apartment fire I had a year ago. It made progress in that short run, however. In hindsight, I don't really like my hardscape layout. It would have been somewhat disguised with a grown out garden though. LOL

Let me know if it works. I've used the API EM and it worked in my tank. No cyano for over a year. Die BBA! Die!
Might be a good idea to hold off on the plants for a while. It's 21 F here and looking to stay chilly for a while. Plus I need to reorganize the foreground a bit. Star repens long over due for a major cut and replant. The "core" is a tangle of sideward stems. After the EM treatment I will pull out the patch roots and all and replant only healthy looking stems. I did that last year and bounced back quickly.

Think you mis-quoted me fresh.. it's more like.. "I will bring algae.. and I will grow it" this was a clear case of mistaken identity.. you're papa plants!! I'm papa bba

My bad. Right now I'm the king of BBA
Photoperiod adjusted. Fixture overlap only one hour now.

It sounded so tempting.. more lights, it's just not that simple. I ran the dc way green, lots of ferts...just wasn't happening..

I've learned that it's just about having the proper balance, which I'm hoping to find with some little experiments that I'm about to conduct hehe! I'll be combating some GSA by upping the phosphate in my tank. I too will be reducing my photoperiod to help in eliminating some BBA.

I wish I had half of the ideas you guys did for your scapes!! Looks great :)

I wish I had half of the ideas you guys did for your scapes!! Looks great :)

I tried to scape with stones once and it looked like a chicken laid and partially buried eggs in sets of threes along the front of the tank. Fail.
The only hardscape I have in there now is a few branches of manzanita DW I found at Marshall's department store. I just fill the tank with plants.
I do try to alternate colors by doing a contrasting pattern of green~red~green. I try to make sure similar plants are not next to each other.
It's constantly evolving.

I've ordered a bunch of new plants so once they all get here I am
Hoping I can rearrange and make it look better!

I need to figure out some non green plants for my big tank. I tried alternanthera reineckii but it was apparently too delicate for the beasts jn my tank and was eaten almost entirely overnight. Luckily the few chunks that made it I moved to my guppy/shrimp tank and is doing fine now.

Marshall's. Interesting. I've got a rock plant plan all scaped out in my head for the next one. But what I think are great ideas often result in poor craftsmanship...we shall see!
Seriously though I really admire all the research and work you guys do, it really shows.

I've ordered a bunch of new plants so once they all get here I am
Hoping I can rearrange and make it look better!

I need to figure out some non green plants for my big tank. I tried alternanthera reineckii but it was apparently too delicate for the beasts jn my tank and was eaten almost entirely overnight. Luckily the few chunks that made it I moved to my guppy/shrimp tank and is doing fine now.

What beast does thouest speak of? AR is a somewhat hardy plant. Perhaps you can look at red tiger lotus.

Marshall's. Interesting. I've got a rock plant plan all scaped out in my head for the next one. But what I think are great ideas often result in poor craftsmanship...we shall see!
Seriously though I really admire all the research and work you guys do, it really shows.

I only saw it once at Marshall's. $25 marked down to $5. I've looked in craft/hobby shops for it as well. Probably better off getting it online somewhere.
Keep visualizing your plan. You might be able to find some builds (current/archive) on AA or another site that encompass the wish list of your next scape.

I think it was the darn pleco my husband had to have. I know plecos and plants are a no together usually but our deal when I got the big tank (55) was a pleco :/ it also could have been the clown loaches kicking it up and it getting ripped but it didn't seem like that many pieces were missing

The pieces were small- petsmart gel pack to start then they got all chewed up. They've been doing well in the guppy tank especially considering how small the chunks I found were. They weren't even big enough to plant at first! I had to float them

Fresh any plans to trim that blyxa? Looks to be getting too large for foreground in my opinion.

Looking good otherwise

The pieces were small- petsmart gel pack to start then they got all chewed up. They've been doing well in the guppy tank especially considering how small the chunks I found were. They weren't even big enough to plant at first! I had to float them

I hear ya on the AR. I grew mine from the same type of gel pack plant and it took months to get to proper size.
Too bad about the pleco addition. A bull in a china shop.
My tank is not really fish oriented at the moment.

Fresh any plans to trim that blyxa? Looks to be getting too large for foreground in my opinion.

Looking good otherwise

Definitely. It started out much smaller and further back which worked out fine initially. I've already removed about 1/3-1/2 in the last month. Once established this plant takes off. Brookster (aka PaPa BBA) and his 5 gallon buckets can attest to that.
This weekend I will remove the stems in the front and adding it to my holding tank which currently has:
3 stems of Limnophilia aromatica
10+ stems of Pogostemon erectus
A few stems of AR
Lots of water lettuce
I need to rehome these plants...anyone?

I hear ya on the AR. I grew mine from the same type of gel pack plant and it took months to get to proper size.
Too bad about the pleco addition. A bull in a china shop.
My tank is not really fish oriented at the moment.

Definitely. It started out much smaller and further back which worked out fine initially. I've already removed about 1/3-1/2 in the last month. Once established this plant takes off. Brookster (aka PaPa BBA) and his 5 gallon buckets can attest to that.
This weekend I will remove the stems in the front and adding it to my holding tank which currently has:
3 stems of Limnophilia aromatica
10+ stems of Pogostemon erectus
A few stems of AR
Lots of water lettuce
I need to rehome these plants...anyone?

Yah, don't sleep on that stuff, was up to my elbows.. luckily found a home for all of it!!

I need to get on yalls level. I never even heard the algae meds until now. Shows how much of a rookie I still am.

Fresh I sent you a pm in reference of some plants.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I need to get on yalls level. I never even heard the algae meds until now. Shows how much of a rookie I still am.

Fresh I sent you a pm in reference of some plants.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The erythromycin should kill the blue green algae / Cyanobacteria which is a type of bacteria. I should have no effect on the algae. I think the jury is out on what it's effect on the BB in the filter. I've used it once before and it eliminated the BGA. Dosage is 4-5 days but it will continue to kill off the BGA for another week. It helps to physically remove as much BGA before treatment. Fortunately it is easily removed during water changes. Brian Nano is trying another product for BGA at the moment; curious to see how it does.
Got your message and replied back.

I dosed a full week of erythromycin treatment with no noticeable effects on the bio filter.

Like i mentioned to brookster, if you got to pull any of that blyxa be prepped for mess!! The root systems are more extensive than the leaves lol

Back
Top Bottom