FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I step away for a few hours and this happens.
I guess I'm doing my next WC in a trench coat.
I'm planning on going to Potomac Valley Aquarium Societies' (PVAS) monthly meeting tomorrow. Topic: "The Diversity of Nano Fishes" presented by Rachel O'Leary. Door prizes, raffles, refreshments, and mini-auction. Will take pics and share the 411.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Now I have this picture in my head of crazy people wearing thongs with that aquarium pic on it doing a water change drinking beers and dancing around.

Hahahaha

Wait... You mean not everyone wears lacy racy negligee when doing tank maintenance?!

My husband is just lucky, I guess ?

???

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

Wait... You mean not everyone wears lacy racy negligee when doing tank maintenance?!

My husband is just lucky, I guess ?

???

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

I doo!!! Well nike shorts and a hoody anyways:p
Fresh's thread will now return to its regularly scheduled program!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Definitely want to hear about the nano fish. If they have maculatus for cheap you could always save some for me for when it's warm! ;) only kidding.

Tank cleared up from yesterday's upheaval. I had a TopFin internal filter lying around so I filled it with floss to help remove the particulates. Trimmed the star repens patch and turns out there were more stems available than I had anticipated; extras mailed out to fill an order.
bD3WsRX.png
I salvaged as much as it could of the AR mini
TPsTtcX.png
The Ludwigia red is looking sad
uixv7qy.png

FTS:
AeeyR2l.png

Not happy with the way the tank looks now. I want something different in there. Perhaps an interesting piece of DW in the left rear corner. I want a piece that will have roots running parallel with the substrate. These would act as natural dividers for the carpeting plants. Something like this but with the trunk in the corner:
O0dZrMT.png

I'm also toying with the idea of having a shade filled corner. Shade can be provided by the water lettuce. This would give the fish a not so bright area to hang out.

I experienced the same thing with my Ludwigia when I had it. It looked good at first, then slowly began to look worse and worse over time. It became a snail magnet too. Eeeek!

I like the idea that you have for the natural dividers for the plants. Plus, if you have a shaded area, a type of Crypt would look nice in that area. I personally like Crypt Undulata better than any of the Crypt Wendtiis.

Edit: I've also noticed that in my years of keeping Crypts that Crypt undulata seems to grow faster than other Crypts...especially in a tank with CO2 and good lighting.

Go Reds!

I may have to hold off on the new root style DW until I find the right piece(s). In the small pond out back where I *think* the other DW is hiding still had a layer of ice so I will check back tomorrow.
I trimmed the Ludwigia red and it looks much nicer.
zvcAJH7.png
The limno is also short and quite green. The color is most likely due to the heavy shade caused by the water lettuce.
KECAgq9.png
I moved the internal filter (filled with seeded ceramic media and moss) into the QT. I moved the AC50 back into the planted tank. I like the added flow and not having to see the internal filter. Speaking of the QT, I saw one of the Otos swimming upside down trying to get some of the flake food for the embers. FTS:
WUB9OEG.png

Really cool to be able to talk to Rachel O'Leary of MsJinkzd.com. So much knowledge. She had bred Blue Eye Furcata Forktail Rainbows outdoors and by last summer she had about 300! She introduced me to some local breeders if nano fish.
Here are some goodies from the day at the PVAS monthly meeting. Framed dwarf shrimp poster and Repashy Meat Pie.
lvIbjbW.png

Oooh... Look at all the pretty plants and swag!!

Tank is looking good! And what is this ice thing you speak of? I do not understand...?

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Fresh do you have a heater or something to aerate the water in your pond?

By me we have 14 inches of ice. Can't imagine you have more than an inch if you are going to check fkr the DW tomorrow

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oooh... Look at all the pretty plants and swag!!

Tank is looking good! And what is this ice thing you speak of? I do not understand...?

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Haha. Funny said everyone north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Tank looks good Fresh! Are you going to make the pvas a monthly thing now? Ant good secrets?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank looks good Fresh! Are you going to make the pvas a monthly thing now? Ant good secrets?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I will make it a regular thing. Folks are friendly and sometimes they meet up for dinner afterwards. Finding local breeders is cool. Makes a difference if you can pickup fish and plants and not have to ship them, especially in this weather. It will make a great outlet for my extra plants. There is a big auction in April and I heard it can last 8 hours.
No secrets to speak of. The hill stream nano discussion included video clips and information regarding proper tank size, ideal food, tank mates, breeding, etc. The speaker will be in Raleigh next week. There will be a regular nano discussion in the coming months.

Fresh do you have a heater or something to aerate the water in your pond?

By me we have 14 inches of ice. Can't imagine you have more than an inch if you are going to check fkr the DW tomorrow

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ice is probably a few inches at best. I have a 100w donut shaped floating heater. Only heats a small circle at the surface.

I may have to hold off on the new root style DW until I find the right piece(s). In the small pond out back where I *think* the other DW is hiding still had a layer of ice so I will check back tomorrow.

Man it seems like this winter is cramping everyone's style!

Speaking of the QT, I saw one of the Otos swimming upside down trying to get some of the flake food for the embers.

How strange, yours seem to be meat eaters. I've never once had an oto take any prepared food, not even an algae tab. Mine mostly hide now, to the point where I didn't know I had five until I took them out for my substrate change.

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Man it seems like this winter is cramping everyone's style!

How strange, yours seem to be meat eaters. I've never once had an oto take any prepared food, not even an algae tab. Mine mostly hide now, to the point where I didn't know I had five until I took them out for my substrate change.

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

What winter??? it was a nice 37 degree Celsius today

Shut it! Got a 80 hr. Storm bearing down on us here:(
Fresh - nice you found some real live fish friends! I'd like some of those..

Dang another storm....must be "deflating" to your spirit...
You see what I did there?

Getcha sleeves wet fish tank people!

It was neat. Folks would ask what you are into and they'd say "You need to talk to so and so and they'll hook you up". Regular stem plants were selling like hot cakes. Shrimp, snails, odd fittings one would need for a DIY CO2 reactor, coolers, smaller tanks, common and not so common fish were sold. I saw 4 aspidoras spilotus sold for $9. Three cans of repashy for $10-$12. Crazy deals.

That's 98.6 F for the non-Celsius folks like me

I'm so over the deflate stuff, all these championship hats and shirts floating around..what's up with that?!?
- I need to find an aquarium meeting around here..

Back
Top Bottom