FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RadMax8;3155895 How strange said:
On day one I dropped in a small chunk of FD brine shrimp hoping the embers would catch the fragments as it rehydrates and two of the Otos were taking turns latching into it. I am going to try a Hikari algae wafer with them today.
If I get about to catching the two danios from the planted tank (yeah, right) I can bring them into the LFS for a livestock coupon. I checked with them already and it's cool. Then I think it will be a green light for moving the embers and Otos out of QT and into the main tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What are you thinking for centerpiece fish fresh? You cl going to unleash a troop of corys in there? Pandas are a great smaller type

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Picked my aspidoras up, five for less than that. I love auctions and local meetings! Glad to hear the otos are taking food good news!

Don't be surprised if your otos stop eating the prepared foods once you move them into your main tank where there should be plenty of biofilm to fill up on. That's really what they prefer in my experience, and also what's best for them health-wise.

Picked my aspidoras up, five for less than that. I love auctions and local meetings! Glad to hear the otos are taking food good news!

I would not doubt that with your auctioning skills. I would hire you as my buyer at the next auction. Folks were down to earth and helpful at the meeting.
I added an algae wafer and very small chunk of FD brine shrimp and within 30 seconds you'd think the Otos were chugging expresso. Spazzing and roaming the tank, swimming inverted at the surface until they found the brine shrimp. At the moment the wafer has been ignored but I will check back later.

Shut it! Got a 80 hr. Storm bearing down on us here:(
Fresh - nice you found some real live fish friends! I'd like some of those..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We've had plenty of thunderstorms don't worry ;) 2-3pm everyday for two weeks...

Glad your meet went well. I'm interested in going to one in Sydney but it's not exactly close to me...I need to get my full license first. It's mainly focussed around bettas though...

I'm about to do a big WC and start the 4-5 day dosing with erythromycin. The BGA/Cyanobacteria keeps returning even after I remove it during water changes. I have been careful to give the WC bucket a rinse in hot water before using it to refill the tank. It's been lurking in the tank at low level for a while. Just tired of looking at it. It is not on the plants, just the substrate and walls.
I will also be making an adjustment to the lighting schedule. Even though the DCs are lime green most of the time, the full intensity of both Finnex fixtures on at the same time (right now 3 hours) may be too much. Going to try to reduce the lighting and see if this helps with the BBA on the star repens and curled leaves on the AR mini. Downoi is looking a little meh but I recently replanted it. The rest of the plants are doing fine. I am using the standard PPS-Pro dose of 1 mL per 10 gallons. I think I will have the FugeRay turn off an hour early and the planted+ turn on an hour later. This will result on only a one overlap.
Obligatory FTS. Happy Friday everyone!
XHy67q0.png

Looking sharp!!! I love to watch it grow.

May the force be with you.

Glad your meet went well. I'm interested in going to one in Sydney but it's not exactly close to me...I need to get my full license first. It's mainly focussed around bettas though...

If you get a chance, then go for it. You can make so really good contacts that can help you out down the road.

I have a few pieces of Malaysian DW that were sitting outside. Rinsed and boiled them. I also have a few pieces I pulled from my "pond". These were purchased from gift shop in the outer banks, NC a few years ago. These floated for almost a year in the pond before then sank. They were covered with algae, moss, and cyano. So I scrubbed and boiled them. Not so sure that I will use them though. The wood is softer than the Malaysian. I can drive my thumbnail into it and leave a mark. I can scratch off a dark, brown, mulch-like crumbly material. I am worried that it may rot or alter the water chemistry. That's too bad because they definitely have some interesting shapes.
Malaysian DW:
3y7Ngho.png

Other DW:
0D1jAZN.png

"It's what's for dinner"
52jPUs0.png

Still on the fence with the other DW.

Hi Fresh2o,

Your recent FTS looks amazing! Congratulations!. The plants look very healthy and lush. I really like it.

Please let me know if you find it useful and keep up the great work! More pictures!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you ScapeFu and welcome to AA! *spoken in the voice of Ricardo Montalban from Fantasy Island*
Uh oh! What's going on here?
fh4OHgC.png

...to be continued...

I see DW!! :D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

*Saw* driftwood
6m6NzGd.png
ZDxybcr.png

In progress. Waiting for it to clear a bit before proceeding. Filters are working overtime.
On a good note, I was able to catch the two danios! I used a 4" and 8" net. They will go in a floating breeder box until I take them to the LFS.

Congratulations on catching them!

For once I believe my tank looks better than yours...that won't ladt long though. *sigh*

Mini-rescape is done! I removed the manzanita and added some Malaysian DW. Extended them out from the corner in an attempt to get that "root" effect. This will serve as dividers for the foreground plants. No "tree trunk" in the corner though. While most of the plants were out I sloped the gravel so that it would be lower in the front and higher in the back. Tank is still clearing up but I took some pics anyway.
FTS:
Ky3nTJv.png
Slightly downward view:
MzASosV.png
Top view, left side:
FvVnpTa.png
Top view, right side:
l3xFnOH.png

Mini-rescape is done! I removed the manzanita and added some Malaysian DW. Extended them out from the corner in an attempt to get that "root" effect. This will serve as dividers for the foreground plants. No "tree trunk" in the corner though. While most of the plants were out I sloped the gravel so that it would be lower in the front and higher in the back. Tank is still clearing up but I took some pics anyway.
FTS:
Ky3nTJv.png
Slightly downward view:
MzASosV.png
Top view, left side:
FvVnpTa.png
Top view, right side:
l3xFnOH.png

Hey that looks really good! I like the wood and its positioning; it gives the tank a really cool look.

FTS:
Ky3nTJv.png
Slightly downward view:
MzASosV.png
Top view, left side:
FvVnpTa.png
Top view, right side:
l3xFnOH.png

And nkw your tank is back to looking way better than mine...it was fun while it lasted. Tank looks great fresh!

Back
Top Bottom