FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice shrimp tank man. I haven't seen that's one before. Does it still look the same with moss and crypts?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pretty much. Just took these a few minutes ago:
T5MOXd4.png
LCm6lKW.png
pyaBEY3.png

It's pretty dark in there with the dual T5 NO bulbs. But the crypts and moss grow slowly.

Man the crypts look great. I wish I had a shrimp tank that big.

Root tabs every few months, low light, low maintenance. IMO the shrimp tend to get "lost" in that tank. MTS are going nuts in this tank.

This weekend I might pull ALL of the AR mini in the planted tank and only plant the growing tips. Tired of the ugly algae covered leaves. Plus it's getting taller than I want. Star repens might need a trim as well.

Yeah I know the feeling. I've been spot treating parts of my tank everyday for the last week.

Yeah I know the feeling. I've been spot treating parts of my tank everyday for the last week.

It appears to be an ongoing thing but I catch a break from time to time

Was trolling my own post and found a pic after a rescape 4 months ago. Always nice to be able to look back on things:
ZZYvPlZ.jpg

And today:
5TXOeAc.png

Layout is basically the same. Crypts are gone; added since then: Rotala wallichii, Downoi, and Pogostemon erectus.

See man.. that's what I'm talking about!! Phenomenal work fresh!! I can only hope mine looks like that after 4 months!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Added a new timer to the mess:
yA6ljV1.png
I have the Finnex Planted+ on from 6:00-11:15 PM, FugeRay on from 3:00-9:00 PM, CO2 on from 3:00-9:30. The overlap of both fixtures is 3 hours (6:00-9:00). *These times are subject to change*
Did not do any other fish stuff today; removed carpet and baseboard from a bedroom and painted it. Will be installing bamboo flooring next week. Fun-fun.
Otherwise, plants looking good. Pogo is growing well :)

How much did those digital timers run you? If you don't mind me asking?

I swear by the woods brand, little more $$ but the simplicity/reliability speaks for itself!

I swear by the woods brand, little more $$ but the simplicity/reliability speaks for itself!

These were the stock brands at Lowes (UtiliTech?) and the single plug digital model (the two at top) retail for about $10. These are lacking the ground pin (2 prong not 3 prong) which was fine for my lights but not the regulator. You can only program only ONE on/off cycle so split photoperiod is out.
If you need a 3 prong then Lowes carries them for about $16. 2 plugs each but with a much larger footprint. Thus, the orange doohickey was needed to create clearance in the power strip.

Regarding the digital timers, they both have an internal battery, so if the power goes out or you need to unplug them (which I have to do to program them) the settings will not be affected. Both have a pinhole reset button. I think I got the one on top from Target and the other one from Lowes. As I mentioned, these are for a single 2 prong plug and they only support one on/off cycle.
The timer at the bottom is not digital, although the digital dual 3 prong plug version is around the same size. The analog timer supports multiple on/off cycles and is precise to either 15 or 30 minute intervals. It does have a slight but annoying ticking sound but since it is in a cabinet, I don't notice it.
Duh moment: I woke up early this morning and wondered why the FugeRay was on. Discovered that the current time was set incorrectly (it read 5:00 PM and not 5:00 AM). Yawn.
In other news, since I have the day off, I plan on removing ALL of the AR mini and only replanting the healthy tops. Not sure what I will be doing with the rest of the AR mini. I might give the star repens a crew cut so if anyone is interested in star repens clippings, give me a shout. I do not have room to replant the growing tips.

I looked at the woods brand Brookster was talking about on amazon. They seem to be real solid. I have some analog brinks timers I picked up from Wally World. They also have a small tick but with all the noise coming from my tanks (air pumps for sponge filter and breeder box) I can't hear them.

I hate when I mess up the timing on the lights. That has happened to me a few times. The other day I was showing

I looked at the woods brand Brookster was talking about on amazon. They seem to be real solid. I have some analog brinks timers I picked up from Wally World. They also have a small tick but with all the noise coming from my tanks (air pumps for sponge filter and breeder box) I can't hear them.

I hate when I mess up the timing on the lights. That has happened to me a few times. The other day I was showing

My neighbor my tank after it's photo period, so I manually turned on the
Timer. After looking at it, I forgot to turn it off. Poor fish and plants. I bet you woke up and was like WTF. No wonder your up so early on a holiday. Lol

Questions: Regarding CO2 diffusers...I've seen a wide range of costs for these. Is this a case of "you get what you pay for"? On Amazon I can get a glass/ceramic diffuser for about $5 and in GLA they can exceed $40.
What's the difference between a diffuser and an atomizer?

Im not sure the exact difference but from experience the diffuser I used did not break the CO2 into that small of bubble and I though was inefficient. I went to got the atomizer and it diffuses smaller bubbles and I liked how the line feeds from the top down eliminating a "loop" in the tank (diffuser's intake was on the bottom). The atomizers do require a higher working pressure. Mine does work with the aquatek paintball regulator but I did add a GLA drop checker.

I got the fluval ceramic diffuser off amazon and it's working ok for now. I'm guessing I'll have to clean the disc every so often but it emits a fine mist at 3bps.

Hmmm...the diffuser sits beneath the HOB intake so I am not sure if bubble size makes a difference. If I fork out $48 for a GLA atomizer, I would want it to really make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom