FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tank progression, last two weeks:
5/28/2016
q2EZOOIh.jpg

6/11/2016
U9oR4xGh.jpg

The latter pic was taken late at night, thus the closed up leaves. Still planning on removing a bunch of Staur repens because I need more room for the Downoi and HC Cuba. Glosso is like aquatic kudzu but looks nice if it is managed. AR mini getting a bit taller than I like.
So if you want some staurs, give me a shout.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice! You grow Staur repens like a champ.

Nice! You grow Staur repens like a champ.

I've had good luck with them from the get go. Started from a Petsmart Topfin gel pack. No melting at all. Steady growth. Stays out for the most part (some spreading over time). Now I just need to unload some.

Back to the terrariums theme...
Planted the HC Cuba in the terrariums:
Qu2ghTLh.jpg
Plenty of space between stems. Closeup:
rR8SvdSh.jpg
Not all of the roots are buried. I'm expecting them to grow downward into the soil. I will keep the tops on the terrariums to retain moisture and must then maybe once every 1-2 weeks. In the original terrarium only a few roots were in the soil; most of the runners were "crawling" over the moss.
At this point, not much to do with them except sit and wait. Will post updates as they occur.

So, Fresh, I just wanted to let you know (and hope you don't mind) that I showed our interior plant guy at work your scaping job in your tank. He was impressed. :)

So, Fresh, I just wanted to let you know (and hope you don't mind) that I showed our interior plant guy at work your scaping job in your tank. He was impressed. :)

I'm gonna have to get a new hat after compliments like that. I don't mind.
A great deal of what I've learned came from this forum. Lots of great scapers here.

Hey fresh do they sell the. Leds that come with ADA tanks. Love this forum as well

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Hey fresh do they sell the. Leds that come with ADA tanks. Love this forum as well

Idk. Prolly. Looks nice (integrated but you can use other LEDs). One day I will get an ADA tank.
Here is a great ADA build. His scapes have been a source of inspiration for me:
Brian's ADA 60P

Yea i got a 20gl ADA tank i think its 20gls. No led, has some ada soil too
0be2d570b55171912d15c3c262598481.jpg

Been a while since an update. Back to the weekly grind of trimming. Took out a bunch of Rotala macrandra and colorata. Will soon need to unload some Staur repens, limno aromatica, Pogostemon erectus, and AR mini.
Here is a before and after of the AR mini (5 weeks later).
gplEGYYh.jpg

3yUz6QZh.jpg

Very nice fresh just started today at a lfs here in austin

Update on the tank. Tank is due for a trim. A bit overgrown with the AR mini (front left), Limnophilia aromatica (rear left), and Pogostemon erectus (rear right).
xDdm1Wxh.jpg

Fish were hungry (no food for a week while I was away). No daily ferts either. CO2 tank psi hit zero sometime last week. The working pressure shows 60 psi which means there is some CO2 left in the regulator.

Not being funny fresh but that tank looks perfect to me. Just the sort of lengths I'd like to keep it at. Would be a pain to keep on top of though. Looks really really well. I noticed that my tank when not dosed with ferts for two weeks didn't bat an eyelid but then I wasn't doing water changes either. TDS went up but my Anubias branch sprouted four new flowers.....weird.

Losing co2 might have been a worser issue but even then they probably have a store of reserved energy to last a few days.

Wondered why this thread hadn't been updated....

I was away for a bit.
Turns out that there is still some CO2 left in the tank despite the gauge reading zero. The psi in the regulator dropped from 60 to 25 today and the bubbles were coming out at 1-2 bps.
Tall growth leads to shading of the lower plants. That leads to more vertical than horizontal growth. The tank will look like the pic for a couple of days at best and then really get over grown. I'll trim the stems to half the tank height (which is only 12") and in 2-3 weeks it will look like this again. Vicious cycle. I have an auction coming up this weekend so hopefully the trimmings will find a new home.
Thanks for the reminder on the TDS. I need to measure it. I noticed a bit more BBA than normal on the DW and short green hair algae on the AR mini leaves. Water change tomorrow.

TDS went from 264 to 220 after a ~35% PWC this morning. Trying to keep it between 180-220. I may do another one in a few days. Prior to leaving on vacation, I did a 5x dose of PPS. No signs of excessive ferts seen on the plants.
Here is a view from above:
n0BwJNYh.jpg

Very nice fresh. I broke all my tank downs no time. But i will be setting up display tanks at my job bought some bacter 100 super clear an 2 others from ada substrate additives got some ada soil an power sand medium xant wait after that its time to buy the aquasky 601 for my ada 60p tank

I hate you and your beautiful, perfect tanks. Come to Kentucky and make mine look like that.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I hate you and your beautiful, perfect tanks. Come to Kentucky and make mine look like that.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you mention plane tickets and a credit card, then I'll think about it. ? Still have those snails I sent you? The gift that keeps on giving. Thanks for the compliment! This has been a long, slow build.
I wish I could make hardscape look good. With exotic stones (e.g. - seiryu). That's not a strong area for me and I compensate by smothering it with plants.

Back
Top Bottom