FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The picture is older than the thread.
Technically, the start date for the Planted tank was when I put in the EcoComplete in OCT 2012. Looked similar to the pic above. A few months later I added a dual NO T-8 fixture, added a bunch of inappropriate plants, and watched them struggle and die. A few months later bought a Finnex FugeRay, some API and Seachem liquid ferts, and started a DIY CO2 generator. Things started to pick up. In JUN 2013 is when I started this build thread.
So the thread is more like 3.5 years old.
Tank is looking emptier. I might catch the fish and move them and the filter to the holding tank tonight.
u6wqcrSh.jpg

If you've followed this build for any time, you'll agree that this is a familiar scene:
LXb7QIxh.jpg
What's wrong with me? I make it pretty then tear it down again. I get bored easily, I suppose.
I moved most of the plants to the holding tank which suddenly got crowded. I don't think the fish will care (more cover).
tfy9CB7h.jpg

The black tubing is for drip acclimating the fish (they are in a 5 gallon bucket).
Actually I am a couple days ahead of schedule; did not mean to start this until the weekend. I am going to do a few big water changes tonight to remove a lot of the muck. Not sure what I will do with the DBT and staur repens; maybe put them in a bucket for a few days.

Buckle your seat belts!
It's been challenging with rock placement. Here is one of about a dozen attempts so far:
5jW8lMol.jpg
gBEHY54l.jpg

Once I settle on a layout, I will sink some plastic supports in the substrate to help maintain the slopes. One thing for sure is that background (black Hefty trash bag) needs to go! Ugh. While I'm at it I might as well paint the back with black acrylic. Need to get that later today. Still deciding on heater placement; the plants in the back should hide it.
There's just enough water to hopefully keep the snails alive though I would not be surprised if the ammonia spikes when I fill this tank.

U can use a filter sponge in the corner to hide the heater and intake and just leave a slot under the bottom for the water to draw. Then u just stick plants to the sponge to grow it out. Or like u said just hide it with stems.

I don't know if your open to suggestion but I'd move the far right rock to the front far left to keep a higher rise on the left side giving the tank abit more grade. Just my opinion but if your happy with it then just ignore me ;) you know what your doing :D

Have u got some nice dw for the tank aswell?

Looking good!

I'll figure out a location for the heater.
Yes, very open to suggestions (read: "What the heck am I doing?"). Seriously, it was about 1:00 AM and I was still fiddling around with this mess dreading the fact that I would getting up to go to work in about 4 hours.
I'll give that a try. Still have more substrate I can add.
Carpet plants are in a bucket with a light on top.
Forgot to get acrylic paint. At least I can move the tank away from the wall to make it easier to pant.
No DW in this tank. Just rocks, carpet plants, and some stems in the back.
My little internal filter just went belly up. Might snag a Sun Sun and use that on this tank.

I love mine so far! I've had it about a month. Amazingly quiet, and produces very strong flow in my 20. I believe it was $54 on Amazon.
Haven't had to clean it or take it apart yet though.

I got it in May. Runs great and quiet. I make sure to unplug it and fill it up to about an inch from the top, put the head back on and fill it up the rest of the way. Then when reconnecting there is no priming and starts right up.

Thanks for the sunsun feedback. Sounds promising. Contacted another AA member (Brookster) whose owned one for a few years and he's happy with it.
I was researching the tubing size and thinking about hooking up a CO2 reactor to it. Not those small inline, diffuser based units but a DIY Rex-Grigg or Cerges style reactor. Or I'll get a new GLA-like diffuser (in the tank) and do the add-on later.

Rearranged the stones a bit. Here are landscape views of what I have and what I'm loosely basing off of:
0NAhZ86h.jpg

FTS with no background; ignore the heater.
AuY3lTgh.jpg
Tank is pulled away from the wall so hopefully it will get painted tomorrow.

Rearranged the stones a bit. Here are landscape views of what I have and what I'm loosely basing off of:
0NAhZ86h.jpg

AuY3lTgh.jpg

I like it! Looking forward to seeing what this tank becomes! Soon enough my tank will be a cloudy mess when I pull up some Crypts to make room for added hardscape. Interesting tank transformations on AA right now!

0NAhZ86h.jpg

AuY3lTgh.jpg

Nice attempt. You can see in the bottom shot that the substrate dips away between the rocks to give a valley type effect and also gives the illusion of more height at either side. I think you could manage something similar quite easily. Also in my opinions the larger stone on the left would be at and angle say about 20 degrees. A bit flatter if possible. I know it's tough. I like where you are going with it that's for sure.

Nice attempt. You can see in the bottom shot that the substrate dips away between the rocks to give a valley type effect and also gives the illusion of more height at either side. I think you could manage something similar quite easily. Also in my opinions the larger stone on the left would be at and angle say about 20 degrees. A bit flatter if possible. I know it's tough. I like where you are going with it that's for sure.

Thanks for the observations. I used the word "loosely" because I don't have the exact number and shape of rocks to replicate that look.
Agreed, the valley should emphasize the height on either side. The "high back" came from another yet scape (not pictured) that presented a central apex in between the groups of rocks.
Will try to get paint this morning and hopefully apply a coat before going to the movies (wife reserved some tickets for prime seats at a local theatre for the new Star Wars movie).

Thanks for the observations. I used the word "loosely" because I don't have the exact number and shape of rocks to replicate that look.
Agreed, the valley should emphasize the height on either side. The "high back" came from another yet scape (not pictured) that presented a central apex in between the groups of rocks.
Will try to get paint this morning and hopefully apply a coat before going to the movies (wife reserved some tickets for prime seats at a local theatre for the new Star Wars movie).

It's all looking pretty good :) I agree with cal tho the left needs to just roll down abit more. Other than that I'm loving it.

Star Wars is ment to be brilliant and prime seats are even better. Haha

It's all looking pretty good :) I agree with cal tho the left needs to just roll down abit more. Other than that I'm loving it.

Star Wars is ment to be brilliant and prime seats are even better. Haha

Rocks have been adjusted; pics later.
4th coat of acrylic is drying. Will do 2 more. Going to clean the rim and back interior surface because they are filthy. The former is from years of misguided flake food, the latter from laziness.
Movie was good and that's all I'll say about it. Challenge to stay awake because the seats were cushy and they reclined all the way.

Rocks have been adjusted; pics later.
4th coat of acrylic is drying. Will do 2 more. Going to clean the rim and back interior surface because they are filthy. The former is from years of misguided flake food, the latter from laziness.
Movie was good and that's all I'll say about it. Challenge to stay awake because the seats were cushy and they reclined all the way.

Good stuff! Can't wait to see your planting arrangement! Don't put any reds in the middle of the tank u want your focal point to be slightly off center as it makes the scape more pleasing to the eye.

I struggle to watch movies for the same reason! I work nights so I fall asleep anywhere as long as I'm comfy haha

Back
Top Bottom