FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go fresh go!! Black sand is a nice touch! Red on black pops:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fresh I can send back a clump of fissidens if weather permits, let me know

Flecks of tan?
I rinsed 4 solo cups (my unit of measure) of the 40/20 blasting sand for at least 20 minutes. Floating granules and grayish haze rinsed away. Added between 2-3 solo cups of the rinsed sand to get a depth of about 1/4". I then noticed these flecks of tan granules. I did not see this when the product was dry (probably because of the dust).
Is this normal?
W4v0SX1.png
wqbmE0y.png

It looks as if I overfed with micro pellets. Not a deal breaker but I thought it would be consistently black. I saw this with EcoComplete. At this point I can still remove it and try something like Caribsea Tahitian Moon black sand. But I will have to see if I can find it locally or order it online.
Opinions on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Normal. All my tanks with that substrate same thing.
It bothered me at first but I don't mind it so much anymore

Added water and cleaned the filter. Not much else because of having family over, the NFL, and RedBox movies.
This tank had the Finnex titanium heater which is as shiny as chrome. I might swap it with the Aqueon Pro that's in the temp shrimp tank.
Going to order another 12"x12" sheet of SS mesh. I need more squares for the moss arriving this week.
Might order some foam prefilters for the intake. The original one is starting to wear and the pore size was a bit generous for the baby shrimp.
Here is an updated pic:
7oSYcIb.png

Added water and cleaned the filter. Not much else because of having family over, the NFL, and RedBox movies.
This tank had the Finnex titanium heater which is as shiny as chrome. I might swap it with the Aqueon Pro that's in the temp shrimp tank.
Going to order another 12"x12" sheet of SS mesh. I need more squares for the moss arriving this week.
Might order some foam prefilters for the intake. The original one is starting to wear and the pore size was a bit generous for the baby shrimp.
Here is an updated pic:
7oSYcIb.png

I have a bag of the fluval edge sponge intake covers,using these on all the hob's currently running..

sit in silence...

The Fluval Edge sponges are the ones I use too on almost all the tanks. Though looking into the SS ones. Since the sponges also gather BB I will sometimes rinse in treated water, or other times rinse the heck out of them. I also will keep an extra one available so when you remove the one in the tank you can put on another right away as not worry about any baby shrimp puree. Then I clean the extra and if I am wanting to keep the BB I rinse in the treated water and drop back into the back of my catch all tank to stay active (seasoned, lol).

They need a good FW cleaning though ocassionally as they will tend to get gunked up and reduce flow.

I've ordered some prefilters and more fissidens moss. It's is more like, I send plants to TT, he grows them big, and sends them back. The Plant Wiz.
I also ordered another 12"x12" sheet of SS. I need more squares for an order of red moss and fissidens mini courtesy of junglefowl.
Added an Aqueon Pro and its blends in well.
This build is like watching moss grow.

And the puns begin...

Can't wait to see some moss in here! Are you going to use any stone hardscape like the inspiration picture appears to have?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The Red Moss is so interesting. I have been planning for it for a few months now. My new one won't be up for a little bit yet so VERY excited to see it in your tank at least!!!

And the puns begin...

Can't wait to see some moss in here! Are you going to use any stone hardscape like the inspiration picture appears to have?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That would make sense to use hardscape the get that height, especially in the back. Initially I want to get the moss growing well...now you've got me thinking.
Hmmmm...a dry start method (DSM) on some choice stones is an option. The blender and yogurt method. Drain the tank, paint the mixture on the hardscape, mist with ferts, cover in plastic wrap, and provide lighting.
I could do a hybrid DSM where the tank contains 1" of water for the moss growing on mesh (submerged) and the painted rocks are above the water line.
Oh, choices, choices. What to do.

The Red Moss is so interesting. I have been planning for it for a few months now. My new one won't be up for a little bit yet so VERY excited to see it in your tank at least!!!

Yep. Will make a nice contrast to all of the green in there (that will be in there). Let me see how well it grows/propagates.

I found a nice article on securing moss onto driftwood using superglue. It actually starts out taking about a failed attempt on DSM with moss. I REALLY like the tank at the top of the second page: Best way to attach Fissidens fontanus to bogwood tree
Another interesting article Fissidens fontanus dry start on the subject.
I need to research this more and come up with a plan.

I found a nice article on securing moss onto driftwood using superglue. It actually starts out taking about a failed attempt on DSM with moss. I REALLY like the tank at the top of the second page: Best way to attach Fissidens fontanus to bogwood tree
Another interesting article Fissidens fontanus dry start on the subject.
I need to research this more and come up with a plan.

Did you use up the glue I sent you awhile back?

sit in silence...

Did you use up the glue I sent you awhile back?

sit in silence...

Nope. When I got it, I figured I might have a use for it one day. I think that day is coming soon.
Going to visit a garden center tomorrow to see if I can find the right stones for this scape. I will bring a tape measure so that I can rough out a tank footprint. Sounds like glue is probably my best choice here. Not sure if I have the patience for the blender yogurt method.
Hardscape is a challenge for me. Last time I tried with stones it was like an OCD egg laying chicken. ?

Nope. When I got it, I figured I might have a use for it one day. I think that day is coming soon.
Going to visit a garden center tomorrow to see if I can find the right stones for this scape. I will bring a tape measure so that I can rough out a tank footprint. Sounds like glue is probably my best choice here. Not sure if I have the patience for the blender yogurt method.
Hardscape is a challenge for me. Last time I tried with stones it was like an OCD egg laying chicken. ?

Cut a piece of cardboard(or something similar) to match the footprint of the tank..lay out the rocks on top to play around with diff configurations...

sit in silence...

Back
Top Bottom