FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Added AquariumPlant.com Total and Iron pellets to the Crypts today. Watching the shrimp go round and round the tank. 4 shrimp in 20 gallons...lots of space to fill.
Any problems using Seachem Flourish Complete and Excel with shrimp?

Added AquariumPlant.com Total and Iron pellets to the Crypts today. Watching the shrimp go round and round the tank. 4 shrimp in 20 gallons...lots of space to fill.

I'm liking the look of your tank and I feel your pain ... I have around 100 shrimp in my 20long and there are times I only see a handful ... If that. I could just imagine what 4 must look like. I must say that 20 longs are an ideal size for a shrimp tank. I use comprehensive with my tank ... No problems. I don't dose excel.

With the excel as long as you don't exceed 1.5x the reccomended dose you are safe. I ha e a thread on here asking the same thing I think its panels breeding shrimp while dosing ferts and glut or something like that ill post a link to it for you in an edit ill add to this post.

Edit: here's the link to that for you. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/breeding-shrimp-while-using-glut-and-ferts-262207.html

Last edited:
With the excel as long as you don't exceed 1.5x the reccomended dose you are safe. I ha e a thread on here asking the same thing I think its panels breeding shrimp while dosing ferts and glut or something like that ill post a link to it for you in an edit ill add to this post.

Edit: here's the link to that for you. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/breeding-shrimp-while-using-glut-and-ferts-262207.html

Thanks for the feedback on the organic carbon.
I need to scoop out the floating plants; The are blocking light and are sucking up nutrients.

Just got call from the LFS that a dozen RCS arrived. And amanos too. The first batch of RCS I got from them were really red. Going there tomorrow...pysched!

Picked up 6 RCS!
In the bag
kcuzWsB.jpg

In the tank
vY8VJ0B.jpg

Old and new shrimp
bjIlz0l.jpg

Amano exoskeleton
4vQ2xN1.jpg

I hope the new shrimp get as colorful as the old ones
vY8VJ0B.jpg

View from left side of tank
zH9g5Jn.jpg

Found a dead cherry shrimp :(

Was not able to remove it immediately and several hours later someone moved it across the tank. I am thinking it was the Amano (has molted twice in two weeks).

The newer ones are getting more colorful each day. Out of eight RCS I am hoping there is one female amongst them.

the females has a U shape belly. Its pretty easy to tell.

Found a dead cherry shrimp :(

Was not able to remove it immediately and several hours later someone moved it across the tank. I am thinking it was the Amano (has molted twice in two weeks).

The newer ones are getting more colorful each day. Out of eight RCS I am hoping there is one female amongst them.

I found 2 today they commuted suicide and bailed outta the tank. One orange caridina and one rcs :( who knows how many else bailed and my dog found. LoL diggin the tank though.

I found 2 today they commuted suicide and bailed outta the tank. One orange caridina and one rcs :( who knows how many else bailed and my dog found. LoL diggin the tank though.

That's awful. Dog treats. My tank is covered for the most part; I hard see the shrimp at the surface and if they are up there, they have to navigate past the swirling water lettuce and salvinia.

Double jinx! I get home to find an RCS exoskeleton (good) and two dead RCS (bad). One of them was intact and pale; the other was bright red but missing antennae, legs and tail fins. Not sure which shrimp shed their skin:
1. The dead one?
2. The one who has been hanging out in the same spot for the last 2 hours on a piece of DW?
3. Some other one that's hiding out somewhere?

Are shrimp especially vulnerable after molting? Do Amano shrimp pose any threat to a newly molted RCS?

That's awful. Dog treats. My tank is covered for the most part; I hard see the shrimp at the surface and if they are up there, they have to navigate past the swirling water lettuce and salvinia.

Mines totally open I'm going to get a versa top and a different ligjt for it. Right now the ligjt from my 55 is stickin out from it over the 10 lol.

Mines totally open I'm going to get a versa top and a different ligjt for it. Right now the ligjt from my 55 is stickin out from it over the 10 lol.

Found one more dead :(
That makes 4 of the 6 new shrimp in 5 days. The original 3 are red as tomatoes and doing fine; the other 2 are getting colorful. Currently the Amano is hiding somewhere.

Found one more dead :(
That makes 4 of the 6 new shrimp in 5 days. The original 3 are red as tomatoes and doing fine; the other 2 are getting colorful. Currently the Amano is hiding somewhere.

Now would probably be a good time to check the parameters. Ive had 2 RCS deaths, but thats it. Are they getting enough food?

Now would probably be a good time to check the parameters. Ive had 2 RCS deaths, but thats it. Are they getting enough food?

Checked the parameters...looks good
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5
pH 7.8

I did not want to over feed them so feeding has been rather light. I believe the RCS were getting "bored" with the Shrimp Cuisine (picking them up then casting them aside) so I dropped in a few Aqueon Tropical Flakes over the last few days.

Just read the ingredients: it lists Copper Sulphate. Won't be doing that again. :(
Still can't find the Amano.

I did not kill any shrimp today.

The remaining RCS are doing fine though when I add food, they are slow, if any, to respond. Unlike the Amano who probably hears a dinner bell when I drop in some shrimp cuisine pellets. Speaking of which, the Amano is still missing. I did a PWC this morning and lifted the two pieces of Malaysian DW looking for it. Nothing! Not even a corpse or exoskeleton.

Usually the copper is trace amounts. Most likely have some in your water, also. But you never know.

Back
Top Bottom