FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahaha we have a squatter. reading through your thread makes me want some shrimp again.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

About half of the stock is from your tank. The other half from JungeFowl. I'm sure the original five from the LFS have long passed.
As you know, they are pretty low maintenance. Get some. When the time comes to sell off everything, I'll take them off your hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This morning I will take some Flame/Java moss that has been sitting in a small vase next to window for the last few years and stuff it into the cholla wood. Will also glue down some wild fronds of moss on the DW already in the tank.
Perhaps I will move more DW and/or cholla over from the temp tank. Tank has been filled for only a week so I doubt enough biofilm has built up in it yet so any established hardscape will help.

When you store mosses like that do you do any water maintenance or just top off for evaporation?

When you store mosses like that do you do any water maintenance or just top off for evaporation?

Just top off with tap water when watering the plants. I really should use old tank water. Especially for the Christmas cactus. Perhaps water changes might be helpful. Some of the moss was put into the vase back in 2012. And there is a ton of it. I pulled out a small portion and it was like cotton candy. It sits in a window sill with a southern exposure; subject to temperature fluctuations.
Here is a shot of the stuffed cholla, Brookster:
gDyAWnN.png
One of them I started stuffing the core but the other one I did not. I felt that there would be too much compaction leading to moss die off. So for both I simply stuffed the slots and trimmed off any excess. Quick rinse under the tap and back into the tank.
I also glued down some stray moss but forgot that a little glue goes a long way. Hopefully the white stuff will fade or be covered up by new growth:
l37o7vJ.png

Looking great! I really like the moss filled cholla. Great idea!

+1 on the moss filled cholla! I might have to try that when I get my shrimp

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 on the moss filled cholla! I might have to try that when I get my shrimp

Don't wait on the shrimp to do this. Curious to see how this will turn out.
Added another piece of moss covered DW and moved things around a bit:
WhgsyUn.jpg
Very pleased at the recovery of the moss; there was 75-90% die off last month (probably from chlorine).
QZhwK5i.jpg

WhgsyUn.jpg
Very pleased at the recovery of the moss; there was 75-90% die off last month (probably from chlorine).
QZhwK5i.jpg

Looking good pal...moss is most definitely on the rebound!

sit in silence...

WhgsyUn.jpg
QZhwK5i.jpg

I'm concerned that the cholla may degrade before I get the shrimp, as it'll likely be a while before I'm able to purchase them (maybe 2-3 months at most hopefully).. Or does it degrade due to the shrimp feeding on the biofilm on the cholla? ???

We've had the same pieces of cholla for a couple of months and there isn't any appreciable difference in them now from when they were first put in. The 3" piece in Bpophoto's tank has had a queue to munch off it since his population tripled. ._. You'll be good to go.

TT - Due to overgrowth in the planted tank, I've moved some of the recovering moss out of that and into the temp shrimp tank as it is shallow and lit with a regular CFL and power CFL. That is were the moss in the new tank has been in rehab.
Green - I have a few pieces of cholla that have been underwater for 2-3 years and are just as solid as the day I got them.

Thanks! So I'd just need to put the moss in the cholla via a wooden skewer, or should I do it another way (I plan to do it both ways, via the core and just stuffing the slots, as an experiment when I get enough moss)? It'll definitely be interesting to see how it turns out in your tank fresh (y)

Thanks! So I'd just need to put the moss in the cholla via a wooden skewer, or should I do it another way (I plan to do it both ways, via the core and just stuffing the slots, as an experiment when I get enough moss)? It'll definitely be interesting to see how it turns out in your tank fresh (y)

I used a single tine of my SS planting tongs to push the moss through the slots in the cholla. You could use anything from toothpicks to a small slotted screw driver for this.
Cholla will float for a week or so if it is dry so allow ample prep time.

Last edited:
The two shrimp are doing fine in the new tank. I need to do a WC because the tannins are really leaching from the new DW. I plan to transfer some shrimp today from the temp tank.
Getting some RCS, an oto, some cholla wood and a Java fern next week. Person from a local fish club is downsizing and will drop them off "free to a good home". Score!

Moss is growing back nicely :)

Yes it is! Just missing a bit of color in there ?
Moved 6 shrimp on Thursday. Plan to move more tomorrow (Sunday). Probably the moss ball as well.
Been eyeing the nano moss at Hans (appear to be in stock now). And the CRS caught my eye as well. $4 a pop for grade A-SS sounds like a good deal.

She hasn't been on the forum for a bit but I know Angela1108 got some CRS from Han and has been very happy with them. Next time I do an order I plan to get a few as well.

She hasn't been on the forum for a bit but I know Angela1108 got some CRS from Han and has been very happy with them. Next time I do an order I plan to get a few as well.

I just checked Hans and tried to put 10 CRS in the cart... ?not enough in stock. Maybe 1-2 ATM. I'll try back later. I did put 8 nano moss balls and a fine and regular 17mm SS filter screens in the cart. The regular screen is actually for the planted tank; I find MTS and Rams horns stuck on the intake on a daily basis.
Moss gods are smiling on me. Was offered some more red moss in an act of kindness.
Pretty certain there is a local auction this week...plant dump time!

Back
Top Bottom