FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shipment came in from Hans. Ordered it on 12/31 which was totally LAST YEAR ?
Filter screen for the planted tank and nano moss balls for the scrimp tank. Getting tired of snails stuck on the intake; hopefully this will allow them to linger somewhere else. The moss balls are dime size. Perfect for smaller tanks. Going to drop them in tonight.
All the transferred shrimp have colored up and are busy grazing on everything. I like this layout compared to the previous one. With the heavy crypt growth it was difficult to see the shrimp.
Might be my imagination but the red moss I moved over a couple of days ago appears to be less translucent brown (and getting darker). Not as dark as the moss that was already in there. Pretty sure the shrimp tank has less light. Ferts and temps are the same.
TqLG3iz.png

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Score!

sit in silence...

Whoa that's a serious heavy duty filter guard. And such cute little moss balls!

So, catching shrimps... I've got some that have survived in a bucket for two months. Do you have any advice on catching the buggers?

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Whoa that's a serious heavy duty filter guard. And such cute little moss balls!

So, catching shrimps... I've got some that have survived in a bucket for two months. Do you have any advice on catching the buggers?

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Oh yuck, I hate netting fish or shrimp in buckets. How large is it and is there anything else in the bucket?

The foam I have on my shrimp tank allows even day old fish to walk over it safely, not sure that ss will let them do the same

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like the SS Filter Guard you bought with bigger mesh. Baby shrimps still can go through that mesh. If you'd like to keep shrimps, you need the finer mesh. Han does make the finer version for shrimps too.
Anyway, this is one of the stainless guard I made for my customers' shrimp tanks:
img_3331952_0_88673fa5c757c1c948269a9f4dfd89df.jpg

http://jungleaquashrimp.com/stainle...er-intake-guards-for-aquariums-shrimps-tanks/

The larger/standard mesh is for my planted tank. The only shrimp in there are amanos.
I thought about getting the fine mesh for the shrimp tank. Currently, I have a Fluval prefilter sponge in use and I like that it traps waste that otherwise gets trapped in the filter. I don't clean the filter every week but I do thoroughly rinse the sponge weekly.
I find the sponge is a popular place for the shrimp to graze.
Edit: The nano moss balls look like Brussels sprouts. Pics later.

Oh yuck, I hate netting fish or shrimp in buckets. How large is it and is there anything else in the bucket?

Don't worry, I caught them. They'd been living in the 5 gal bucket since early November. I recently got rid of some plants and saw them in there. I also caught a Celestial Pearl Danio fry while I was at it. I can't believe it survived!

Fresh, sorry to hijack the thread. Are the scrimps happily picking at the nano moss?

Wow amazing. I also have found some lost shrimp in buckets that were leftover water. I usually try to leave the buckets of substrate for awhile, :)

And a CPD! wow!

Cute Moss Balls.

Don't worry, I caught them. They'd been living in the 5 gal bucket since early November. I recently got rid of some plants and saw them in there. I also caught a Celestial Pearl Danio fry while I was at it. I can't believe it survived!

Fresh, sorry to hijack the thread. Are the scrimps happily picking at the nano moss?

Absolutely. They check out everything I put into the tank.
I try to shake off and shrimp and snails when pulling plants out of the temp tank.
Wow amazing. I also have found some lost shrimp in buckets that were leftover water. I usually try to leave the buckets of substrate for awhile, :)

And a CPD! wow!

Cute Moss Balls.

I need to make sure I turn the nano moss balls tan side up so that it greens up evenly.
I have two more partially filled SS mesh squares to move into this tank: one red moss, one fissidens mini/fontanus mix. Moss carpet is actually doing well. The flow is high in the front and the moss give the shrimp something to crawl onto.

Absolutely. They check out everything I put into the tank.
I try to shake off and shrimp and snails when pulling plants out of the temp tank.

I need to make sure I turn the nano moss balls tan side up so that it greens up evenly.
I have two more partially filled SS mesh squares to move into this tank: one red moss, one fissidens mini/fontanus mix. Moss carpet is actually doing well. The flow is high in the front and the moss give the shrimp something to crawl onto.

I have the a little bigger than a baseball moss ball I got from ou CAS auction and it has a dime size brown spot, which is barely greening up since way back from October. It looks a little better now than from then. So hopefilly, since these guys are little.

My tiny moss balls are finally getting big, nearing 2" from a regular marble size - low light tank, and over 2 years ago. It is said they grow slowly, but I think they grow faster than what I feel was lead to believe. Maybe in Lake Marimo Japan, they are deeper in the water and get less light.

Moss balls are the perfect combo with shrimp because of all the little microscopic things - aufwuchs.- Love them!

Some updates on the shrimp tank. The carpet of Fissidens spp and Java on the left is filling in nicely:
nf3s1Yh.png
Added another patch of red moss (towards the back):
excxDNw.png
Cholla + Moss + Nano moss balls:
p34cLVF.png
And finally, the shrimp:
XeJEvBo.png
8QVeLBM.png
JTHPaeR.jpg

The Moss is really growing well. The Red seems sluggish but everything is filling in and the shrimp, well shrimp are awesome, they are really hunting for goodies. Livening up the scape. Nice!

Looks good man, sweet cholla puffs bro;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks all! I'm pleased about the moss rebounding back. I was all boo-hoo a couple months back.
Sharing a pic of the red root floaters. It took a while for them to live up to their name. I figure if they are red, then they are happy.
CDBT58O.png

Thanks all! I'm pleased about the moss rebounding back. I was all boo-hoo a couple months back.
Sharing a pic of the red root floaters. It took a while for them to live up to their name. I figure if they are red, then they are happy.
CDBT58O.png

Do those red root floaters like water movement? Nice pic

Not too much, they don't. Fresh sent me some of his and they're in a 5.5g with a bubbly sponge filter. The ones affected by the bubble movement had to be moved and are happier sheltering behind floating water sprite.

They will tolerate it but do much better in still water. IME they are not as buoyant as similar floating plants (easily get submerged from surface current). But once they get going they are nice. Not over aggressive growth wise which is a plus.

Back
Top Bottom