FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think all of mine are gone. The only tank they did ok in for a while was the unfiltered walstad but the duckweed in there is out of control and I think they got choked out.

Sorry if I already asked but how deep did you go with the substrate?

I think all of mine are gone. The only tank they did ok in for a while was the unfiltered walstad but the duckweed in there is out of control and I think they got choked out.

You need more.
Do the SDs eat duckweed?

Sorry if I already asked but how deep did you go with the substrate?

No need to apologize. Probably 1/4" at the most; enough to barely cover SS mesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks all! I'm pleased about the moss rebounding back. I was all boo-hoo a couple months back.
Sharing a pic of the red root floaters. It took a while for them to live up to their name. I figure if they are red, then they are happy.
CDBT58O.png

Those look amazing! I've wanted to try those. The water lettuce I have just grows way to fast. I HAVE to thin it weekly or it blocks all the light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My red root floaters didn't make it either. Dwarf water lettuce is meh but salvinia minima is out of control.

I murdered salvinia too...cool when I had it.
Fresh the SDs don't eat duckweed it just gets stuck on the filter intake so none in there.
If I could keep them alive I would love more but I distribute amongst the three lowest flow tanks I had and none survived :(

The moss tank is coming along nicely. The 2×2 squares seem to help growth. Nice

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Salvinia was out of control for a while but it seems to have a preference for water parameters. The floating plants don't seem to care for harder water..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm thinking the red root and water lettuce are a bit picky light wise because they do best a few inches away from the Finnex fixtures and CFLs. The salvinia reminds me other hairy larger duckweed and IME does fine with less light. Thankfully it is easier to remove than duckweed.
In a few weeks I will be going to my local fish club auction. They always have red root floaters there...cheap, too ($5 for a 6x4x2 stuffed bag of it).
What's next for this tank? Definitely some otos because it is biofilm city. I may try my hand at CRS.

I lied. Red root floaters CAN reproduce quickly. I looked at the surface of my planted tank and found this.
ZoiFCUu.png
I scooped up two keg cups of it
QD7R2Ez.png
Easily 100-200 plants. Now I know why it is so inexpensive at the auctions.

Pretty sure Fresh is courting ma nature in return for bountiful plantness.

Puhleezz...let us not speak of "the dance". This is a family oriented forum.
I dumped one keg cup into holding tank for anyone interested in obtaining it (PM me) and shipping out the other keg cup.
Since when did keg cup become a unit of measure?

I believe they are called solo cups not keg cups :p

Is the red roots grow comparable to like duckweed?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I lied. Red root floaters CAN reproduce quickly. I looked at the surface of my planted tank and found this.
ZoiFCUu.png
I scooped up two keg cups of it
QD7R2Ez.png
Easily 100-200 plants. Now I know why it is so inexpensive at the auctions.

Wow. Jealous!

One of my favorite things is seeing critters swarm food. Bye bye zucchini! Thanks for the happy, Fresh!

Question regarding the use of Purigen. I throw in an IAL into my tank on occasion. There is a rather new piece of Malaysian DW in there as well. It's tannin city. Water changes are like a weak sweet tea. I was thinking about putting a small bag of Purigen in the filter to take out the yellowness in the water. Would this remove whatever positive elements that are being provided by the IAL/DW?

Back
Top Bottom