FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here, it's Fluval rings under a bag of Purigen under floss. Clear and undeniably healthy.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453406987.760059.jpg One of those Whisper in-tank filters. This is the 5.5 that overpopulated into Bpo's 20L

Here, it's Fluval rings under a bag of Purigen under floss. Clear and undeniably healthy.View attachment 284059 One of those Whisper in-tank filters. This is the 5.5 that overpopulated into Bpo's 20L

I'm using an AquaClear 50. Is the internal sponge even necessary if I am using floss? I was thinking of slicing it in half lengthwise or just not using it at all so that I can make room for a bag of Purigen. From bottom to top it will be floss then either Purigen then ceramic media or ceramic media then Purigen.

That's filling out really nice. I love the red root floaterssss

If you say that you will try not to kill them, then I can send some your way after the blizzard passes down here.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Of course I don't try to kill anything...I just do. Last ones you sent I put in the walstad (no flow, cfl), 5g (sponge filter low flow, cfl), and the 40b (AC, lots of thriving water lettuce, aquasky led), and none survived. Maybe they don't like my water?

I just uploaded a short video of my shrimp tank. Shrimp are pretty active so I'm guessing that there are a few saddled females ready for boosting the population in this tank. [youtube]http://youtu.be/4YIOGllAnqQ[/YouTube] For some reason the video starts out a bit blurry. I needed to add some music to drown out the TV in the background.

I love the effect the floaters give! I've been trying to get Bpo to let me put floaters in his 20, he says no. They're too overbearing for the 5.5 shrimp tank.

I agree, though, that looks a bit like a female molted. Tanks are hilarious to watch when that happens XD

The males go nuts when a female molts. I call it the drunken shrimp race. They run into everything, swim like mad and don't care about stopping until the pheromones are gone.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The males go nuts when a female molts. I call it the drunken shrimp race. They run into everything, swim like mad and don't care about stopping until the pheromones are gone.

That behavior is not limited to shrimp for sure. ? Ahhh, youth.
Things seemed to have calmed down. Will be on the lookout for berried females in the next few weeks.
Weird question: Where would one expect to find more biofilm?
A. DW
B. DW covered entirely by moss
C. Glass wall with ample light
Just curious because I find shrimp on all three surfaces. And if I add anything new from another tank, they are all over it.

Zucchini feast:
BlqPQuhh.jpg

FTS:
d5r4J3Lh.jpg

Beautiful looking tank :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon shrimp and snail tank

That behavior is not limited to shrimp for sure. ? Ahhh, youth.
Things seemed to have calmed down. Will be on the lookout for berried females in the next few weeks.
Weird question: Where would one expect to find more biofilm?
A. DW
B. DW covered entirely by moss
C. Glass wall with ample light
Just curious because I find shrimp on all three surfaces. And if I add anything new from another tank, they are all over it.

B. More surface area

I'm using an AquaClear 50. Is the internal sponge even necessary if I am using floss? I was thinking of slicing it in half lengthwise or just not using it at all so that I can make room for a bag of Purigen. From bottom to top it will be floss then either Purigen then ceramic media or ceramic media then Purigen.

It's carrying BB, of course, but once the ceramic rings kick in, I don't see the point other than mechanical filtration. Purigen isn't going to get the big stuff (if there is any)

Thanks for the replies. No shortage of moss in this tank.
The Purigen is to deal with the ice tea colored water I see during each water change.

I love Purigen! My stack is rings, Purigen, floss. No sponge. Pretty water~ but if your rings aren't established... But you know about that style of thing already :D

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Here is an updated pic of the shrimp tank. Nothing really different except that it is much brighter because I remove a ton of red root floaters. Still need to get some Purigen!
mmAkxs0.jpg

Nice!

The moss wood pieces are really looking great. If I remember you did them slightly differently. Do you think there was any difference in their health or growth - packed vs. poked lol? That seems like a really fast way to make a dramic impact of moss on a tank. Cholla with branches /segments would be a really sweet find at the lfs.

How is the red moss?

I really cannot tell the difference between the cholla + moss pieces. Both are growing at a fast rate. I may prop them up along the back since they are taking up quite a bit of floor space. I may move some of the nano moss balls to the other tank as they are hard to see in this tank. Again, moving the cholla should remedy this.
The red moss is growing well. The pics don't show, but the color is deeper and the growth is fuller. Leaves sprout vertically and terminate with a cluster of furry "attachment points". It appears that new leaves sprout from the clusters. Not sure if it will grow sideways or upwards.
I just need to remove the stray duckweed in there.

Hey Fresh, shrimp tank looks great! I remember you posting a picture of a feeding frenzy on some zucchini. Well I tried the same in my tank and 24 hours later the shrimp and snails have hardly made a dent. How long do you boil your veggies before tossing them in?

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Back
Top Bottom