Freshwater, brackish or either

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well here is the post as promised.

First of all, mollies do well in any water type. I have raised them in purely fresh water in the past and they thrived and multiplied. I have also had them in brackish water, well it was 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons but it had salt in it.

Remember, this is freshwater species only, not saltwater species.

The question is:
Is there a truely freshwater fish that will not survive in salted, brackish water?
Is there a truely brachish fish that will not survive if there is no salt in their water?

Yes there is. I don't think you could move a freshwater angel to a brackish tank. And I don't think you c ould move a brackish puffer to a freshwater tank.

j_randall1702 said:
I am sure that hardiness of a fish depends that.

Exactly, a lot of hardy FW fish can live in brackish conditions, but not comfortably. Likewise the other way around I'm sure is true also. But why would you ever want to do that?

There are lots of fish that can survive in multiple environment types (salt, fresh, or brackish) but these are usually fish that spend different parts of their lives in different types of water in the wild.

And then there are a few really tough fish, like mollies, that don't care where they are.

Back
Top Bottom