freshwater clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyb1425

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone ever try any of the freshwater clams in their tank? I think they would be a neat addition and am considering purchasing some from aquabid. I hear they are also decent additions as a secondary filtering system.

well clams are filter feeders but i dont know about them being actual filters, the wont pick up the fish waste or anything but i think clams would be fun to add to any FW aquarium

you can also get them at www.liveaquaria.com

they are REALLY hard to keep because if you don't have the food that they eat in your tank, in essence you are killing them through starvation. I had some personally and there is only one real way to know for sure if they are alive or not, dig them out from their burrow and rest them on your substrate, if they start to dig in afterwards then they are alive. It is best to have sand with these guys as this will provide another way to tell if they are alive and that is by their filter sticking out of the sand to get food. Yes they are cool things to keep but also really easy to be killed and potentially harm your system.

I had completley diffrent experiance from the last person... My clams THRIVED in my tank.. and I have a gravel bottom with an undergravel filter system.. tehy did burry themselves (or try to atleasT) but I had them for quite a while before my turtles discovered they like clams... I saw Spanky poking aroudn at one.. then I checked 1/2 an hour later and he had them ALL ripped open an eaten... althought I am i na larger tank now.. I am curious if they woud lstand a better chance now... They DID help filter my tank.. I noticed that right away.. as long as I had them my weater was always crystal clear! anyways.. If you get some, send a few my way.. lol.. my pet store doesnt; carry them and wont; order them.

Back
Top Bottom