Freshwater crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn214

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering which crab is truly a fresh water crab?

If fiddlers need a dry spot? Tank size?

How to make water brackish? Tank size?

I would like to start a crab tank and was wondering which one. Recommendation and info of species and care would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, there is only one fully freshwater crab that I know of. They're called microcrabs and are filter feeders if I remember correctly. Brackish water is where a river meets the ocean. With that being said, it's in the middle of fully saltwater and fully saltwater. Usually around 1.015 salinity I believe:)

So there's only one? Does any one know where I can get one? Care levels etc.

Shawn214 said:
I was wondering which crab is truly a fresh water crab?

If fiddlers need a dry spot? Tank size?

How to make water brackish? Tank size?

I would like to start a crab tank and was wondering which one. Recommendation and info of species and care would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there, yes, Thai Micro Crabs is the common name of the crab.

The crab is a false spider crab and completes its entire life cycle fully submersed in fresh water. Their bodies are roughly the size of an eraser on your pencil, but their legs make them nearly four times larger.

They are appropriate for small tanks and must have established plants. 1-6 gallons is perfect, otherwise you may never see them again.

They live about 18 months in captivity, haven't been successfully bred in captivity and are farmed regularly from the Thai river.

The best breeding attempt got the young to 15 days old.

Back
Top Bottom