Freshwater stingray Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

econto4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a freshwater stingray and it used to be a bottom fish, nevertheless since few days ago it keeps stick to the glass and tries to jump or reach the surface violently, does anyone know what can cause this behavior?

what size is the stingray, tank, are there other tank inhabitants? What is your ammonia, nitrate, nitrite,pH level? Hopefully answers to these will help others help you.

The smallest standard size tank for the smallest FW stingray is a 120 gallon tank.. How big is your tank? what speicies of ray do you have? stingrays are extreamly sensitive to poor water quality they need a mature tank to be healthy in not to mention a big tank.. HTH

And if its the same as SW.... They need a sand bed as well, because (This goes in hand with greenmajis most) if they get scratched, and its not that good of a tank they can get infected alot easier than a fish will.

It (the sudden onset of it) could be caused by a new tank mate or the tank getting a bit small (assuming the ray seems really stressed and is acting really agitated), but such behaviour is typically called 'window-washing' and is usually quite normal and expected.

Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot to everyone for your comments,

I just checked the PH & ammonia levels and they are adequate, as well as the temperature.

My tank is size 120 and actually the fish is small yet. I am not sure about the species but it is light brown with brown dots all over.

I observed it a little bit more, and the behavior is during the late afternoons and nights. The clerk of the petstore says it is normal in them.

What is adequate? Do you mean you have no ammonia? how much nitrite and nitrate do you have? How long has this tank been set up? How big is the ray right now (diameter of its disk)?

Well, I do not have a way to measure ammonia in units, I have a kit that tells me by the color of the final solution (water+reactant) that the levels are safe and adequate. As per the PH the test kit is the same fashion, but the color has some values associated (my results were between 7.4-7.6). With these two colors you enter then a chart whit ammonia on the Y axis and PH on the X axis and it tells me that the water is safe and adequate. I do not have nitrite test kits but as long as I believe the ammonia test kit actually tests the contents of Ammonia Nitrite, which is the most dangerous substance.

The tank has been set for about two years but the ray is relatively new.

The ray is some 5 cm diameter.

Kindest regards,

Undergravel filter (biological)+External power filter with a mixture of black coal and a white stone that helps control ammonia nitrite + UV sterilizer

You would be wise to get a nitrite (also deadly) testkit and a nitrate (deadly at very high levels and an indicator of poor water quality) testkit. A amonia testkit that gives you ppm would be helpful as well..

If you have an undergravel filter, I'm assuming you have gravel for a substrate..? If so, that isn't good for rays.

Many thanks again to all,

I also have a Ammonia Alert device that measures the level of Nitrate in the water. I really do not think those are the problems since the tank is now 2 years old and if I had an ammonia (nitrate or nitrite) problem, the other fish would have died. Nevertheless the idea of getting a tst kit that goves ppm readings is great. I will look for one.

From your comments, I think that my gravel are not fine enough. I do have small stones but probably adding some sand would help. Do you think adding sand to the stones would do? or should i replace the stones by sand??

best regards,

You might want to consider removing the UGF in this case.. the Power filter will be doing a good enough job for biological filtration and you can go with a sand substrate that way.. you cant add sand to gravel, the sand will settle down to the bottom under the filter plates of the UGF..

If you add sand on top of gravel, regardless of the UGF, the sand will move to the bottom and the gravel will go to the top. (Think about it this way, if you put rice on top of coffee beans, the smaller rice will move to the bottom and the coffee beans will move up).

some fish have a tendency to attempt to jump if the water quality is bad. I'd say keep an eye on the behavior and make sure you're doing regular water changes.

I don't know squat about rays ... but if some say its normal behavior ... just observe and keep an eye on the ray to make sure its eating and acting "normal" otherwise. If its "normal", then you'll feel better about it after seeing that he is OK and you'll get to enjoy the unique behavior.

Back
Top Bottom