Frog ID help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Illusion447

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I bought this frog I was told he was an African Dwarf Frog but while doing research about the frog I've come across many saying there are no albino African Dwarf Frogs. Any help on identifying this frog would be great, thanks for the help!

image-2082995599.jpg

Thanks for the reply. That's actually the site I was looking at and I was still questioning what he is because he doesn't fit the description well he is a very small, skinny, narrow frog and only has claws on his back legs. And he also looks albino.

hmm.. people have conflicting opinions about albino adfs... it does looks like an adf though. are you sure its albino? because i have two adfs and one is a whole lot lighter in color than the other one

I have an add that looks just like your I was told it was an albino when I got it however I think it's just very pale in colour if all feet are webbed then ins an ADF however if front feet are bot webbed it's more likely to be an African clawed frog which can grow quite large

The eyes are the position of an adf, albino adfs are real! :D if the front feet are webbed he's for sure an adf

Thanks for much for all the help! My adf does have front webbed feet. Thanks for the pics of your frog he definitely looks alot like mine does! :)

I breed albino ADF's. I'm aware that it says all over the web they do not exsist, but I've got a tank full of 'em. Maybe they are not "true albino" for some reason. Mine are very white, some almost clear, with pinkish eyes, so I go ahead and call them "albino". ;)

If you only have one frog you should pick him up a couple of buddies. They are social creatures that shouldn't be kept alone. If you are keeping them with fish I would recommend hand feeding. They are nearly blind and are easily out competed for food by fish. They should be fed only frog & tadpole bites (HBH brand is good) and frozen foods such as bloodworms and brineshrimp.

Any pics of albino African dwarf frogs? I have never seen any pics to prove they exist.

Thanks for the info! We actually have another adf in a holding tank downstairs so he will have a friend in just a few days, but he seems to have become best friends with a peacock eel, the adf follows him everywhere. Yes when we first got himIi wasn't really sure how to feed him for that reason, all the other fish would eat all the food before him. I now feed him and the eel out of a syringe every night. They've gotten so used to it that they come up to the syringe and take blood worms out of it. Ive tried the shrimp pellets... but I heard that they were bad for their digestion, have you heard that as well?

My African Dwarf Frog

Attachments

• image-458921573.jpg
    image-458921573.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1512529742.jpg
    image-1512529742.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3290641383.jpg
    image-3290641383.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 68
  • image-1922394374.jpg
    image-1922394374.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 72
Yes, that is correct. They are very prone to bowel impaction and dropsy so it's best to avoid any pellets that aren't forumlated for them.

I don't think the eyes look black and beady.

In the top left pic there, that's exactly what mine look like.

Well I tried to get pics of mine but they aren't cooperating and to make it worse they are with my iPhone but here's a couple.
Picture 053.jpg
Picture 064.jpg

Those are good pics, and that definitely looks like what mine looks like! Their eyes do have a pink tint to them too when you look really close. Thanks good to know about the pellots, I pretty much have just fed them blood worms since I've had them.

Those are good pics, and that definitely looks like what mine looks like! Their eyes do have a pink tint to them too when you look really close. Thanks good to know about the pellots, I pretty much have just fed them blood worms since I've had them.
Yes, though their eyes are not quite as intensely pink as some albino creatures I have had, when caught at the right angle you can definitely see that typical albino coloration to the eyes.

Well that's perfect actually, because your guy there is still pretty skinny, and the bloodworms will provide extra fat and protein. If I pick an ADF up from my lfs it's usually very young still and often much too thin so, I will usually feed only frozen foods until it's bulked up. Then I switch to my regular routine of rotating the frozen with pellets every other day. Do make sure to stick with the frozen worms/shrimp as the freeze dried, as you can imagine, is also hard on their system.

Your frog will be OK with one buddy, but they are very social, so I would pick up atleast one more if you have the room. :)

Back
Top Bottom