froglet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evilameba

Aquarium Advice Activist
not sure if this is in the right spot, as it is not strictly fish related. if this should be somewhere else, could someon eplease just let me know? sorry if it is...but anyway, my tadpole is now a little froglet! i raised him from a little thing and now he has legs and arns! how cool is that? i want to keep him so im gonng to drain the water and have just gravel and a water bowl. i think its a leopard frog but im not sure, so its a surprise lol. so when does he need to get to air and be on land? has anyone had any experience with this before?

I don't have about much information your new amphibian friend. But yes, AA has such a broad range of topics, that anythings welcome!
Pictures would be greatly appreciated!!!
Very cool.

What kind of tank do you have for the little guy? Too deep of water and they can drown. Frogs definately need some dry land to chill on at times, or a big log/rock that they can perch on. If you had a terrarium that was half land, half medium water it would work great. Do not drain all of his water!! Frogs need water to stay moist so they can breathe and if he cannot submerge himself he will die. Like I said get a little 10 gallon tank that is half water (probably about 2 to 4 inches deep or more, depending on his size) and then either a portion of the tank with land or a large area where he can chill out of the water. There are tons of articles online on how to keep these guys happy and content. Pics are always welcome. gotta love amphibians

thanks for the answers. im gonna put some pictures soon.
yeah i didnt mean i was gonna leave him without water i meant have dry gravel with a bowl of water in it. but you say a few inches? i was going to do that but it would be harder to keep clean my filter doesnt reach that low... im thinking a large tupperware container sunken into the gravel....just imagine it as a frog size in ground pool.

hmm the tuperware might be a possibility. only problem then would be cleaning out the water as frogs need very clean water as well. just make sure the tupperware isnt too deep so the little guy can still crawl out of it and wont get stuck. Wouldnt hurt to try and get a filter running too but if the logistics arent there then adapt as necessary

the tupperware wont be too deep i have a nice shallow one. it would be easy to clean, just take it out and dump the water. but i decided to go with 2 inches of water and a slope of land made with gravel.. i added some bog and aquatic plants as well as a moss covered rock. looks pretty good. ill put some pics today hopefully

sounds like youre in the process of figuring out how to make a paludarium... you could always get a filter like they have for turtle tanks, one that is hidden in a big rock and kind of makes a waterfall... that would be neat, and it would keep the water nice and clean and wouldnt require removing the dish every time you want to change the water

haha i was thinking the same thing! i love paludariums. i have a nyphea lotus rhizome, some wild pennywort, and wild "dwarf papyrus" which is actually a species of flatsedge..:) i decided to go without the dish of water. 2 inches or so is so little amount that i can just drain it out and refill when i need to clean the water. i do like the idea of the waterfall, ill look for one of those.

Actually you could do a paludarium. For now as a small froglet you could do what Lynae said and just build up gravel to the point you have land on 1 side and water in the other. They do need land and water to submerge themselves. More water for the larger they get. For a froglet though you could get a large bowl or some Tupperware and fill it with water and build gravel up around it. Depending on the kind of frog you will need more or less space and more or less water. You might also need to give the frog some height for climbing. For example a Cuban tree frog needs more climbing area and a leopard frog doesn't really need as much. If you supply a picture i might be able to ID it.

yeah ill try to put some pics. im pretty sure its a southern leopard frog, but a positive id would be great! yeah the land is sloped up on one side. he hardly ever goes into the deeper water except when he is scared. he hangs out either in the very shallow water ( less then an inch deep, not enough to even cover him) or on the land. he pretty much stays on the edge between the two. i feed him small pill bugs, and other small insects but im going to try to get some baby crickets. i was thinking about adding some kind of aquatic creature... any ideas anyone? i can always make the water deeper if i need to. if anyone has any suggestions about anything, dont hesitate to tell me!

here are some pics. crappy quality i know. i would have cleaned the sides but the frog is still pretty scared of me.

Attachments

• IMG_1909.jpg
    IMG_1909.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1907.jpg
    IMG_1907.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1906.jpg
    IMG_1906.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 106
some more... the camera does not focus lol

Attachments

• IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1904.jpg
    IMG_1904.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1903.jpg
    IMG_1903.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1902.jpg
    IMG_1902.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 91
how do you upload a video? i have a good one that is better than the pics... got close ups on the frog!

I am not sure because of the BAD quality. In 1 picture it looks like a red bellied toad and in another it has a similar body shape of a leopard frog. And better pics? Also i would try to make him a little more land and maybe a little deeper water.

*EDIT*
I honestly have no idea when it comes to the video, but you could upload it to youtube or something and give a link.

thanks for pointing out the horrible quality of my camera and photography skills..... i already said they were bad.

EDIT
i wasnt nessecarily putting these pictures for you to ID. thats what the video is for. i put them more for everyone to see the setup.

lol, you are welcome. Don't worry, i was just kidding. Besides i have a cell phone for a camera and 90% of the time mine are horrible too. It takes about ten shots of the same thing to get a decent picture.

yeah i know! cameras suck unless you get a really good one... which i have i just cannot find it. i would like to put in natural colored gravel, but i dont know if i should go all out and redo the gravel on my 64 gallon tank... or just redo this one. i honestly dont know why i decided to use neon blue gravel.... it sucks lol

Back
Top Bottom