From the 220 to the Pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
So as some of you may know I will be moving at the end of this school year and I will have to restock my tank. And I think I've finally got a perfect plan. I've convinced my Mom and Dad to allow me to build an indoor pond, I'm thinking the dimensions will be 8' x 4' x 2' high but ill only fill it with water up to 20" so I'll have a little splash protection. I'm using the 220 as a grow out for a few of the fish and this is what I plan on keeping. I put stars next to the fish I for sure will have to move to the pond. Otherwise I would like the rest to stay in the 220 for life but depending on the growth rate of the PB they might have to go in the pond and same with the Ray. For filtration on my 220 I have 2 Cascade 1500's and an Aquaclear 110. For the pond ill be rocking a DIY sump. Substrates will both be sand.(Black in 220, white play sand in the pond) What do you guys think? Any fish I should add or take out? Or do you guys think pea gravel would be better in the pond?

3 Peacock Bass
2 Silver Arowanas *
1 Red Tail Catfish *
1 RTC TSN Hybrid *
1 Ornate Bichir
2 Florida Gar
1 Clown Knife Fish
1 Sting Ray

220 as a grow out tank. Seems a bit too small doesn't it? ;) how many gallons will the pond be? What is the shape of your pond? For your ray, I'd pot it in the pond.

220 as a grow out tank. Seems a bit too small doesn't it? ;) how many gallons will the pond be? What is the shape of your pond? For your ray, I'd pot it in the pond.

It will be a rectangle 8 feet long 4 wide and 2 feet high. It's a pretty large foot print except for the height which my Dad won't let me make it taller. Ill check how many gallons it is. I'm guessing 400+ but if I added more height I could get it up to around 700 I think.

It will be able to hold 480 but ill only have it filled up to 20" so that's 400 gallons. But what I originally planned to do was have it 3' tall and have it filled to 32" and if that's possible it would be 640 gallons. So at least a 400 gallon pond.

Ok guys I was just told on MFK that the tank is way too small for the big Cats so they're unfortunately off the list ):

Yup, about 400 gallons. In the end, the only fish I'd keep in the 220 is the bichir. All the others are either too large or too active for the 220 as adults. Then I'd cut the stocking down for the pond. One of the smaller ray species (Potamotrygon hystrix), one aro, one bass and one gar. Give the fish room for growth. A buddy of mine has four 30" plus pacu in a 1200 gallon pond in his basement. May seem kinda lame, but he's the only person I've ever heard of having pacu spawn in his home. ;)

How are ya gonna filter this pond? Yer pickin' out a lot of large, messy fish, and yer gonna need some heavy duty filtration. Yer puttin' the cart before the horse. ;) Think the project through to completion, then worry 'bout how to stock it.

WYite

Yup, about 400 gallons. In the end, the only fish I'd keep in the 220 is the bichir. All the others are either too large or too active for the 220 as adults. Then I'd cut the stocking down for the pond. One of the smaller ray species (Potamotrygon hystrix), one aro, one bass and one gar. Give the fish room for growth. A buddy of mine has four 30" plus pacu in a 1200 gallon pond in his basement. May seem kinda lame, but he's the only person I've ever heard of having pacu spawn in his home. ;)

How are ya gonna filter this pond? Yer pickin' out a lot of large, messy fish, and yer gonna need some heavy duty filtration. Yer puttin' the cart before the horse. ;) Think the project through to completion, then worry 'bout how to stock it.

WYite

I'm going to do a home made sump. I found an amazing design on YouTube. If I can find the video ill post a link.

Yeah i learned how big the gars get and Im bumping it down to one. But I was told the bass do better in groups so ill keep them at 3 and i was also told that CKFs are very flexible so they would be fine in the 220.

Back
Top Bottom