Fromia Sea Star Necrosis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GenShawklan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ack! I think my Fromia sea star has necrosis. :( I noticed a white spot on one of his limbs a while ago and didn't really think anything of it. It's been slowly progressing and it wasn't until yesterday that I suddenly realized it's been quite ferociously eating away at his arm. :ermm: To the point where it's more than halfway up his arm.

I've read online many articles about amputation and I'd like to try it, but I'm wondering if it's a little bit too late? He's sort of holding that arm up off the rock a little bit and it just doesn't look right, especially the bottom of it. Beyond that, I believe I read that his center was supposed to be 'puffed up' during the day, but I have not noticed it being like that at all. He's stayed on the same rock for the past few days. I've had him for a little over a month or so, I think? At first he was very active. He's in the tank only with a smallish purple condylactis anemone who is absolutely thriving.

I've check the temperature and salt content, and everything seems fine. The tank was cycled for five months (quite a while, lol) before I got them. I noticed today another small white spot on the end of another arm.

So I guess my question is, should I try to amputate his affected arm(s?)? or has it progressed too far? :( Sorry I don't have pics. Like I said, he's a fromia sea star, red-orange in color, and the necrosis has progressed to more than halfway up his arm. :( Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom