Fry stunted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 39ish platy fry and they are still small. On the 11th they will be 2 months I heard at this size they are a good size mine are still small but I got them in a 10G all of them and can spread couple in 20G with zebra danios and other platys.

Fishie said:
I have 39ish platy fry and they are still small. On the 11th they will be 2 months I heard at this size they are a good size mine are still small but I got them in a 10G all of them and can spread couple in 20G with zebra danios and other platys.

They look fine to me. What are you feeding them?

maxwellag said:
They look fine to me. What are you feeding them?

Tetra flakes crushed up I just heard they should be near adult size so I thought they were stunted I don't know any signs for stunted fish.

Tetra flakes crushed up I just heard they should be near adult size so I thought they were stunted I don't know any signs for stunted fish.

How often and how much do you feed them?

There's several reasons why they are growing slow. I wouldn't say they are stunted, I've only seen very very few small fish like livebearers get stunted. But I have seen several that grow really slowly.

What is the temperature in the tank? Have you tried baby brine shrimp or microworms? The meaty foods seem to do better, and you can bump up the feeding to 5-6 times a day if you want. When they are little they need to eat frequently.

jetajockey said:
There's several reasons why they are growing slow. I wouldn't say they are stunted, I've only seen very very few small fish like livebearers get stunted. But I have seen several that grow really slowly.

What is the temperature in the tank? Have you tried baby brine shrimp or microworms? The meaty foods seem to do better, and you can bump up the feeding to 5-6 times a day if you want. When they are little they need to eat frequently.

Oh ok thanks only fed them yolk and crushed flakes. Temperature is around 78 F thanks!

I noticed that the platy fry I had in a 5 gallon where small but when I moved them to the 20 gallon they have grown quicker.

GodFan said:
I noticed that the platy fry I had in a 5 gallon where small but when I moved them to the 20 gallon they have grown quicker.

I might do that with a couple see if they grow fast but will they get eaten by platys still?

I dont think so based on your pic but its hard to see size without something to compare to.

GodFan said:
I dont think so based on your pic but its hard to see size without something to compare to.

What could I compare it to?

Fishie said:
What could I compare it to?

If one is close to the edge of the tank you could hold a ruler against the edge of it and take the picture then. You could also hold up a penny or quarter. Something common.

maxwellag said:
If one is close to the edge of the tank you could hold a ruler against the edge of it and take the picture then. You could also hold up a penny or quarter. Something common.

Ok will try both.

Been trying 30mins for
Past couple days hard for ruler !!

Back
Top Bottom