full dose of melafix for betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gingimaru said:
thank you so much that has to be one of the better and concise answers i have heard on here so far! brill explanation. so much better than most places! i know pets at home sell API aquarium salt. i assume thats just as good as any other type of aquarium salt?

as a quick none betta/salt related question... has anyone else had any issues with pets at home? for example, fairly sure every fish i have ever bought from there has died....

:) glad to help.
Any freshwater treatment/aquarium salt (not marine) is fine. It's all the same. Another cheaper option is any sea salt that has no anticaking agents or iodine. It's exactly the same as 'special' aquarium salt except the price!

hmmmm i actually have some sea salt at home (pure sea salt) as i used it to clean my piercings when they were new.... i may still get aquarium salt though just to be sure (i'm odd like that :p)

sorry to bother you all again. but with regards to mumma.of.two.'s suggestion at one flat tablespoon per 5gals. is that taking into account the fact theres a snail as well? i assume its the dosage's you used when you dosed your tank?

I can guarantee the salts the same :)I edited the dosage. Had the litres wrong. It's 1 tablespoon per 20L/5g of water (standard dose). That does include the snail but, as I said earlier, watch for signs of distress when it's added.

the temperature is as stable as we can have it. its not near any radiators or windows or anything.

unfortunately we cant use salt as we have a snail and using salt can kill them off/damage them, and we'd rather not.

There are no other fish so nipping cant be it, i did see him possibly bite his tail the other day HOWEVER just to point out i havent seen that behaviour before or since then. i can imagine it is annoying him quite a lot having a fair chunk of his tail gone and straggly bits hanging off so i'm sure he will just have been biting a particularly akward bit.

at the moment his fin doesnt seem to be getting any worse. no other fins have it that we can tell. we are doing water changes every 2/3 days doing water paramater tests every other day. we have started feeding him some flake food mixed with blood worms, and we will also be getting a lot more real plants (hopefully they should be ok in my tank without any sort of Co2 stimulation, you know just using what the fish produce) and some large and small silk ferns along with some driftwood. any other safe decorations people can think of? this weekend i will bbe taking a pic of the tank once its all set up nicely :)
Sorry, I meant nipping himself. I'm not sure at this point salt is even necessary. The nature of the injuries sound self-inflicted, and since you thought you saw him biting himself, I'm leaning toward thinking he is the cause of his own injuries. Again, it's so hard to be sure though.

i dont think it is him biting himself as theres a bit that came off down near his body (which i dont think he'd be able to reach) and we saw chunks as big as his head just dissapear. so unless hes suddenly turned into a self eating cannibal lol i doubt it is him biting.

I see. Well in the past I've been surprised at the damage some have done to themselves. It may be rot, though you will ususally see some curling and/or discoloration around the edges. A round of salt treatment won't hurt. I would use it for about 2 weeks, and then start eliminating it from the tank.

Try doing your water changes with Culligan reverse osmosis water you get from the vending machine at wal mart. It's only 27 cents a gallon in your own jug. It has almost no Ph and is very soft water for bettas. This is ALL I use for mine and I now have 58 of them. I have used melafix with good results but I add a bit of salt dependent on the size of tank he or she is in.
Namaste,
Gypsy

Be careful using RO water. It doesn't contain necessary minerals/buffers used by fish, plants, bacteria and for a stable pH. It's recommended to add a product to replace these such as kent RO rite or seachem replenish.

I would recommend you continue with your tap water. Messing with your pH with an already ill fish isn't a good idea IMO.

gypsydancer said:
Try doing your water changes with Culligan reverse osmosis water you get from the vending machine at wal mart. It's only 27 cents a gallon in your own jug. It has almost no Ph and is very soft water for bettas. This is ALL I use for mine and I now have 58 of them. I have used melafix with good results but I add a bit of salt dependent on the size of tank he or she is in.
Namaste,
Gypsy

So, just to clarify, (i have dosed bettafix) it is ok to add a little aqu. salt along with the medication?

i have thought about RO water but i dont know anywhere around here that does it, and from what i've read it could turn into more hassel than its worth. the best thing i've learned from these forums is: consitency. its betta (had to get a pun in there) to keep the water at a consistent temp/PH etc than to try fiddle with it and end up creating spikes everywhere

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom