Fun Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Confusing

Cuz sometimes it stress my fish if i do that many % of water change o.o

Well nah maybe my mistake because my other tank has no goldies ahah

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Come on guys.
You're confusing me. :)

Come on guys.
You're confusing me. :)

Ok so im a bit wrong lol, goldfish are really messy, they need water change of 50-75% (like the guy said), if it have plants, idk mine uproot it all the time. Mine goldies love to eat and i catch one of em' eat one, yes ONE platy omg.

50% is never too much. Cant have enough clean water especially with fish as dirty as gold fish. My tank gets 75 to 80% every 5 days.

+1 us discus owners do this every couple days.

Bottom line IMO: the common consensus is besides fantails it is: 30 gallons originally for the the initial and add 10 gallons per Goldie.

Fish fantails I believe it's 20 gallons initially and add 10 for every extra.

Caleb

Last edited:
Ok so im a bit wrong lol, goldfish are really messy, they need water change of 50-75% (like the guy said), if it have plants, idk mine uproot it all the time. Mine goldies love to eat and i catch one of em' eat one, yes ONE platy omg.

I'm just saying that water changes won't hurt anything but your water bill. Your nitrate test will tell you when you need to do a change. I keep my tanks at 20 max on the trates. When they test at 20 I would do a 50% water change. That will drop it to 10. Then test to see how long it takes to hit 20 again. That will tell you how often to do a 50% water change. I would never go longer than 10 days even if the testing says you can.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm just saying that water changes won't hurt anything but your water bill. Your nitrate test will tell you when you need to do a change. I keep my tanks at 20 max on the trates. When they test at 20 I would do a 50% water change. That will drop it to 10. Then test to see how long it takes to hit 20 again. That will tell you how often to do a 50% water change. I would never go longer than 10 days even if the testing says you can.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ohhh ok lol

The Same

+1 us discus owners do this every couple days.

Bottom line IMO: the common consensus is besides fantails it is: 30 gallons originally for the the initial and add 10 gallons per Goldie.

Fish fantails I believe it's 20 gallons initially and add 10 for every extra.

Caleb
I've heard the same, Caleb. I think I will advise my friend accordingly. ( 2 fantails in his 30 gallon ) I was told adding a bristlenose would be ok. Don't want my friend to be scraping algae all the time. I want this to be a good first experience so it will become a life long hobby.
Another recruit. :):fish2:

So.. im just re-asking lol

You and your friend will only have fantails?

I've heard the same, Caleb. I think I will advise my friend accordingly. ( 2 fantails in his 30 gallon ) I was told adding a bristlenose would be ok. Don't want my friend to be scraping algae all the time. I want this to be a good first experience so it will become a life long hobby.
Another recruit. :):fish2:

Plecos produce much more waste than they will ever clean up. If you want a pleco, it's because you like the pleco, but are a sorry excuse for cleaners. They have large bioloads and in a Goldie tank, that's a lot of extra bioload for a tank that has a good bioload without the pleco.

If you having algae problems in a non planted tank there is usually 2 solutions:

Cut back on feeding.
Lights on no more than 8 hours a day.

This usually solves most people's algae problems.

Caleb

Yes, my friend has a 30 gallon & I have a 50.
We'd both like 2 fancies & a bristlenose in a fun tank.

Hmm.. Pleco produce waste quickly, they suck in algae but makes a long poo quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Another member told me a bristlenose was the only pleco that could live in a goldfish tank & I should have one. I am cycling & have a bit of algae.
Thanks for your input, Caleb.
I value it.
You are a great source of help.

I was told that I could keep smaller fish like, white clouds, when my goldfish were small. The trouble is, they're not going to stay small.
How long would it take a baby fancy to become an adult ?

Goldfish can live to 10 years, but for full size can get 3-4 years

Tankmates ?

Goldfish can live to 10 years, but for full size can get 3-4 years

So, when they are young, I could have tank mates with a low bio load ?
3-4 years is a long time to be looking @ 2 small goldies in a 50 gallon.
If the answer is yes to tank mates, what would you recommend ?

So, when they are young, I could have tank mates with a low bio load ?
3-4 years is a long time to be looking @ 2 small goldies in a 50 gallon.
If the answer is yes to tank mates, what would you recommend ?

I recommend fish that is NOT under 2 inches with slow moving behaviour or will be eaten like neon tetras one day when they are big.

Back
Top Bottom