Fungal treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Rexx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone!
My fish broke out with a small case of ick recently. Then i think what is a fungal infection. & yesterday I noticed an angel had developed a hole in its gill plate which i haven't been able to find much information about onine.. But I've been treating them with high temperature, salt, and 50% water changes every other day to two days. Ive been trying to research what is best to treat (what most likely is a false) fungal infection. But I have a hard time trusting use of medications on my fish because they have done more harm than good in the past. I've been reading about potassium permanganate helping? Does anyone know what is best to cure a false fungal infection? :confused:

A false fungal infection.....like a bacterial columnaris inefecion? True fungus/mold can be cured with methylene blue. Im not sure quite what you mean by "false" fungus.... Can you take a pic? It is possible for them to have more than once disease at a time. But I think if you google Columnaris you might find what afflicts your fish if its "fungal" looking but not entirely. Look a picture of your sick fish would really help me.

A false fungal infection.....like a bacterial columnaris inefecion? True fungus/mold can be cured with methylene blue. Im not sure quite what you mean by "false" fungus.... Can you take a pic? It is possible for them to have more than once disease at a time. But I think if you google Columnaris you might find what afflicts your fish if its "fungal" looking but not entirely. Look a picture of your sick fish would really help me.

Yes that's exactly it! I was seeing a lot of false fungus terms being thrown around online when I was doing research. False cuz it's not an actual fungus but a bacterial Infection. But it looks fungus-y? Lol thank you! I'm glad I finally know the exact name!! I would post a pic but to be honest I'm not 100% sure know how via android app. I just downloaded it a few days ago.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is columnaris, a deadly opportunisitic bacteria that is always present in declor water. You need to use powerful antibiotics along with a Anti-fungal, and euthanize any fish that seem too far gone or have skin lesions. Columnaris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The best medicine to use for this is Kanamycin antibiotic along with Furan-2. The furan you can find at petsmart/petco, the kanamycin you have to get from a fish only store or online. Or if you don't have accesss to those I would use Maracyn-2 along with Acriflavin.
Yes it is confusing. But keep in mind that it is Secondary fungal growth on dead tissue that the bacteria has consumed. So you need to treat for both.

Back
Top Bottom