Fungus on dorsal fin of rasbora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carranneh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Background- I missed ich on my new rasboras in the hospital tank, and I didn't even see it on them in my main tank when I introduced them, I only saw them on my platies 3 days later. So I slowly upped the water temp, added aquarium salt and the next day lost 4 fish (2 of my original platies, 2 of the rasboras). Maybe it was more than ich? So, I added marinelands ich remedy- which worked. I've not seen any ich in 2 weeks.
It is a 20 gal cycled tank (4 months old), but the ammonia went nuts for a few days after they died. It's back to ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5ppm. I do once a week changes of 25% or I do a few smaller changes if I notice poops on the bottom. Now I have 3 21/2" ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424722786.534128.jpgplaties and 4 rasboras (and there are 3 wk old platy fry hiding in the plants, maybe 6?). Temp is 76. I don't know the name of the filter offhand. It has a biowheel, and I plan to replace it because it's pretty much crap.
My question- immediately after the ich fiasco, two of the surviving rasboras got fungus infections. I've been using Melafix and pimafix together and while they're no longer getting worse- they're also not really getting better. The one rasbora has almost no dorsal fin left, the other has one totally white anal fin (? I think that's the name of the fin). It's been two weeks.
Will a fish with no dorsal fin recover? How long should I treat it- or should I euthanize it? Should I use something different to treat it?
It's super hard to photograph this fish. She hides. What looks like the top of the fin in the pic is actually white and cottony. The red part is pretty much all that's left. (And my tank doesn't look this yellow, it's just the light in the photo. The water is clear)
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've heard that fish can recover from really nasty amounts of fin loss like that, but now you need to worry about body rot. If it's not improving with your current medication I would try something different. Some are advertised as both anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.

Melafix and Pimafix can be helpful but they are very mild. It seems like you need something stronger.

Hopefully someone who's a bit more knowledgeable will drop by though. I've only just gotten fin rot on my betta for the first time so I'm not an expert on dealing with it.

Thanks. I actually just euthanized it. Poor thing started acting squirrelly. I felt bad enough for it when it just looked bad, but it couldnt stay upright when it swam anymore, so it seemed super stressed out and then it lost all its colour. In a very quick time period.

Thanks. I actually just euthanized it. Poor thing started acting squirrelly. I felt bad enough for it when it just looked bad, but it couldnt stay upright when it swam anymore, so it seemed super stressed out and then it lost all its colour. In a very quick time period.

Sorry about that. Sometimes that's really the best thing for them.

Update:

Figured I'd go back to this to update in case anyone else was dealing with this.
Shortly afterwards, another rasbora got the cloudy fin and immediately I stuck it in the hospital tank with tetracycline. Cleared up in two days (I did the full treatment) and the fish seems fine to this day. I wish I'd done this back in the day. Pimafix and Melafix did nothing :(

wow okay, you use a gram positive antibiotic for a fungal infection and it works! LOL
I was gonna suggest methylene blue or furan-2 in a hospital tank.

Back
Top Bottom