Fungus on Drift Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaelaarnold

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently got a piece of drift wood about a week ago and did the proper precautions; soaked it over night (it was prepared driftwood) and boiled it for three hours. About two days after inserting it, a white, hair like film grew over it and continues to grow and expand. It has even moved to the walls of the tank. I do daily mantinence on the tank as I am still cycling and this is what the film looks like when I wipe it off ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424218995.479834.jpg
I'm hoping it is just the harmless fungus I researched about and will go away in a few weeks. This is what it looks like in the tankImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424219125.206568.jpg

Does this happen to all new driftwood when introduced to a tank? Is there a quick and easy was to rid of it or will time just have to do it? Just for clarification, it is harmless, I suspect?
My snails graze on it, but it seems like after they graze on it they hide in their shells for extended period of times. will it make them sick?

Thank you guys~ :)

•22 gal zebra danio, 75 gal red ear slider•

the fungus grew like crazy on my new drift. I just rinsed mine off in hot water and threw it in a bucket of treated water to soak for 10 mins. Then added it back. It will go away permanently soon. I used Malaysian drift.

Okay, thank you guys! Just wanted to make sure :)

•22 gal zebra danio, 75 gal red ear slider•

Back
Top Bottom