fungus or someting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bussardnr

Aquarium Advice Activist
well my angles are sick again. the 1st time it was on one angle so i put him in qt and used macren(sp) well it took over a month in there after which i gave up(no time/money to get anything else) about 3 weeks later he was fine :?: now 3 of my angles have it. its a stringy, cottony light tan/white stuff on the tips of thier fins. but it comes and gos :?: it will be almost gone one day and the next day be back again. anyone know what this could be?

How old is the tank? Is it cycled fully? I remember seeing something like this when one of my tanks was new. The fish had small whitish little strands, not over their body, but just the fin tips. Keep very close tabs on your water parameters and do water changes as necessary. You could end up doing a few changes a week until your parameters are back on track.

There is a chance that the one sick angel reinfected the others, but if he was the only one sick before, and now more are sick, I would suspect tank parameters are allowing the fish to become stressed.

the tank has been up for 7-8 months nows. i always do about a 50% wc everyweek, and its a 75. there must be something wronge with my tap

A 50% water change is rather large. Maybe that's stressing the fish. What area your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? There's usually no reason to do a large water change like 50% every week unless your ammonia and/or nitrites are not 0, and then your tank is not cycled. Post the parameters of your tank first, and then if something looks out of place, you may want to test and post the tap water parameters also.

It never hurts to do a water change if fish are looking sick. In this case you could do something like 20% two or three times a week. I think you may be doing too large of a maintenance water change every week. Plus, 50% of a 75 gallon is a lot of work! :wink:

OK now I am confused. Sorry to horn in on this thread but I thought a larger water change was beneficial. I do about 50% each week also.

i have rams so i try to keep the water clean as possable. i used to do 2 25% A week but dont have the time off to do it now. i also have sand and one of my plants like to cover the tank is crap(leaves are everywhere yet it grows like crazy)

ph 7.8-8
ammonia 0
nitrate seems to be 40 but they could have made the colors easyer to distinguish
i didnt have time to do nitrite but i dont think it would be anything

i'll be going to the lsf in less than an hour so if theres anyone who knows whats going on please help

the nitrate seems a bit high considering how much maintaince you have been doing.. see if you cant find out what the sorce is.. other then that multiple smaller water changes can bring it down.. try 25-30% every other day untill you can get the NO3 down to say 10ppm..

btw. IME and IMO.. large water changes can only be benificial if the water peramiters are the same as the water being changed.. If the PH and KH are the same for the tapwater after being gassed out as the water in the tank large water changes are not stressfull to the fish.. on the other hand if there is a differance caution is in order.. If you wish to do alot of very large water changes it is wise to test and restest the tap and tank water before doing so..

I believe a 50% water change every week can be stressful. Greenmaji stated the reasons well. IMO, you don't need to do a 50% maintenance water change every week for most types of fish. (Some fish, like discus, are an exception: they have different requirements than a regular community tank.)

Some reasons to do a 50% water change are if the tank is not cycled (ammonia and nitrite are not 0, or nitrates are high) to remove medications, or if fish are sick, but in that case it would be better to do a series of smaller changes every day until the parameters, and fish, return to normal.

bussardnr, the change in your water-changing routine from two 25% changes a week to one 50% change a week may be stressing the fish. Do you have a python? That would save time when doing a water change and make them easier to fit into your schedule.

no python, the only sink i could use is 1 floor away and on the other side of the house. i/ve been doing 50% changs for around 4-5 months now. the tap is the same as the tank. also the nitrate was checked right before the weekly change

Back
Top Bottom